Missing chrysalis'

• Creator
    Topic

star
    Participant

Hello, new here!

So far I have got 12 chrysalis’ – well I did. This morning I went out to check if my last two caterpillars had gone into their J stage only to find that two of my chrysalis’ were gone. One was a fallen one and was quite banged up (I was unsure if it would still survive) and the other was quite strong but had changed on a leaf. The only trace left of them I can find is the silk, black stem and not even a millimetre of the green shell. I do have my plants and monarchs protected with a make shift tent so I’m stumped as to how this could happen.

Has anyone had the same problem? Or any ideas what could have happened?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

star
    Participant

Hi Jacqui

Just took some photographs to show you my tent and what’s left of the missing chrysalises.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8056/8412436245_d77dba3521_b.jpg
    This is my tent, it’s mainly made from tulle material and sticks, the middle pole is a replacement for a shorter one that was there in the beginning because of the last bunch of plants I had being too tall – and with that came with me not having enough tulle so I had to improvize with scrap material I had laying around the house. I also have a white sheet over top for night time. I have stones along the bottom so nothing can get in or out (I had a few escapies in the beginning).

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8055/8413535662_94e17647f5_b.jpg
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8218/8412436307_7824854686_b.jpg
    These two photos are from the chrysalis I had on the leaf, before and after the disappearance.

emmakate: I’ve been quite lucky too! Last year I had a total of three or four butterflies and this year it’s (hopefully) going to be twelve! But with more caterpillars comes more spending on milkweed – not good on my pockets.

emmakate
    Participant

Oh wonderful thanks Jacqui! I figured they SHOULD be ok, as they’d chosen those spots themselves after all (they should know best right??!). ūüôā

Emma

Jacqui

Hi EmmaKate

The flat spot shouldn’t affect the butterfly at all, you’ll be pleased to know.

Jacqui

emmakate
    Participant

I also had a chrysalis vanish one night – I can’t think of any explanation for it though as it was on a high branch and simply¬†disappeared silk dot and all!?

But overall (and touch wood!!) I have been pretty lucky so far, out of approx. 30 cats I have 22 chrysalis’ formed and 5 cats left to fatten up… HOPEFULLY they will all hatch healthy…¬†¬†A few made chrysalis’ on the side of a wall outside, hardened overnight and they have flat patches (slightly deformed but not TOO munted)…

Will this affect the butterfly does anyone know??  THANKS! EmmaKate

Jacqui

Hello Star, and welcome to the forum.

Could be many things and without having a look at your “makeshift tent” it’s hard to say. Rats, birds, hedgehogs have been known to take chrysalises. Ants have eaten mine, but I don’t think that would happen so quickly.

I hope you don’t lose any more.

Jacqui

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.