Milkweed and winter

Tagged: ,

• Creator
    Topic

Chipwich
    Participant

Can Milkweed that survived the caterpillars’ attentions survive the winter and be available next spring? Is there any special preparation that would increase the chances of Milkweed surviving the winter?

Thanks!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Butternut
    Participant

Hi Chipwich – I am in Dunedin and I have had Swan plants survive outside and unsheltered over winter. Haven’t tried it with milkweed yet. You could take cuttings and grow them in pots to overwinter in the garage.

Chipwich
    Participant

I’m in Christchurch. Should I put the plants into pots and being them inside for the winter?

TgaLiz
    Participant

My Giant swanplant is into it’s 3rd summer, but it is in a very sheltered north facing spot growing against a white wall of the garage. No frost gets to it, and I am in the sunny Bay of Plenty so growing is easy. Has anyone further south used frost cloth or similar to help plants thru the winter? You will also need to stake it securely so it doesn’t snap in winter gales. Good luck.

Jacqui

Hi Chipwich – depends where you are. In the south of the South Island, probably not unless you have a protected, warm area.

Jacqui

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.