Midwinter nectar

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Miranda 4 years ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Jacqui

I was looking around my garden yesterday at all the flowering plants I have offering nectar for butterflies. Here’s a list. Please add your own plants which are flowering now and popular with butterflies to the list but also add your area – I’m in Blockhouse Bay, Auckland.

Lantana bush (Lantana camara – orange and yellow)
    Montanoa grandiflora (white tree daisy)
    Poinsettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima)
    Tagetes lemmonii (Mexican marigold bush)
    Tithonia diversifolia (Mexican sunjflower)

Hebes are just beginning to flower, and some late zinnias and cosmos still add colour to the garden (and no doubt nectar if there was any shortage).

By the way, I’m happy to share cuttings if anyone wants anything they see there. You can google photos – I suggest using the botanical name to make sure you’re seeing the right plant.

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Miranda
    Participant

I’m in Auckland (Papakura). The bright pink flowers are beautiful and the tui are so much fun to watch. If I had space I’d put a few more of these trees in. Good luck with your planting – a large stand of flowering cherries together will look amazing!

Dane Keriboi Hawker
    Participant

Hi Miranda,
    Where location are you? I have 20 Prunus awanui at work I am looking forward to flowering this spring. We have some Taiwan Cherry trees already in full bloom but we are slowly taking them out due to the potential of them being a pest in the bush.

I am looking at planting a large stand of Prunus campanulata superba for the tui this spring.

Miranda
    Participant

I have two flowering cherry trees in bloom at the moment. They are fantastic for the birds but the butterflies have been all over them recently as well. One was already here when I bought the house, so I’m not sure what it is. The other is either Prunus Felix Jury or Prunus Superba.

I also have what I think is a hebe with purple flowers in flower at the moment – the bees love it.

Jacqui

Fleeting visit home… an unknown hebe (purple flowers) in full bloom and the spring buddleia just beginning to flower – delicious perfume from the latter. But that’s all that’s flowering right now in my garden.

Tina Nicholson
    Participant

Hello
    The shrub – with small white chains of flowers

Jacqui

Thanks Tina – by lily of the valley do you mean the shrub or the small flowering plants (bulbs?)?

Tina Nicholson
    Participant

Kohekohe and Lilly of the valley seem to be favourites for the overwintering butterflies up here that I’ve observed so far.

Errol
    Participant

I can’t guarantee it will work for you. But I planted marigolds under our runner beans which every year would get infested with aphids and white fly, the same in our glasshouse where we had several tomato and cucumber plants.

The pleasing result was that the beans outside had only minimal white fly and less than normal aphids, likewise in the glasshouse.
    Good luck.

Dane Keriboi Hawker
    Participant

Hi Jacqui,
    I will try some different marigolds under my plants this summer and see if there is a certain type that works best of preventing aphids.

Jacqui

Hi Dane – I’m not sure about your inquiry about aphids. But I haven’t seen any aphids near the plant. There was a milkweed growing next to it last year and I can’t remember seeing any aphids near it… so possibly it does.

Michelle, have been away from home for the past ten days but when I left Montanoa had finished and the Tithonia (yellow) was still flowering, as was the Tagetes. The Poinsettia had been hit by frost and I had pruned the Lantana back really hard – but my spring flowering Buddleia (can’t remember the name) was coming into flower.

Down here in Whakatane there were monarchs flying around the red bottlebrush that line their main street. I would highly recommend the old traditional bright red bottlebrush.

Dane Keriboi Hawker
    Participant

Does Tagetes lemmonii have any properties of fighting against aphids like other marigolds? Love the smell of this plant.

Michelle
    Participant

Hi Jackie
    Im interested in what you may still have flowering in your garden at the moment for butterfly nectar. Are the plants you listed at the end of May still flowering or do you have different ones flowering now. Im planning my winter nectar garden.

I understand that the painted lady butterfly needs sweet pea as a host/nectar plant. Would you happen to no whether it can be any sort of sweet pea or is there only a specific type of sweet pea it requires?

On another topic I came across a really interesting website based in America I think, some time ago and thought I would share it with you (you may have come across it ).
    What intrigued me was the variety of milkweed(25) they are lucky enough to have for sale. Some of them looked very attractive. They have the seed available for purchase but unfortunately I guess we wont be able to purchase them due to import restrictions 🙁 .
    The link is http:/monarchbutterflygarden.net/milkweed-plant-seed-resources/.

This website also seems to have a wealth of other helpful information.

Michelle

tramp
    Participant

Tramp Tauranga. Add to your list native white Manuka and wild roadside Heather pleased to hear you have the Montanoa grandifolia and Ththonia diversifolia growing Jacqui, prune quite hard back when finished flowering ours are at least 3 metres square plus, when the sun comes out it is covered with Monarchs
    Te Puna Quarry Park

Miranda
    Participant

I have two callistemons in flower at the moment – one is a small Callistemon Red Cluster which was planted two months ago, and the other is a large tree (not sure which type because it was here when we moved in). I have seen several monarchs on the flowers in recent weeks. This is in Papakura, Auckland.

Jacqui

Yes please, Desiderata. But when you say “East Coast” where do you mean? So many different climate zones in different parts of NZ. And where is your local garden centre?

To post the photo, send it to photos@monarch.org.nz with a brief description as well. Great stuff!

Desiderata
    Participant

My butterfly garden is prone to heavy frosts,thus I’m careful which plants I choose. Hebe’s are a great hardy flowering addition thanks Jacqui for your other suggestions.I was surprised to see a monarch feeding on thistle flowers recently. Our block is on the east coast and we don’t run stock so the odd thistle pops up..I have also stopping spraying our nettle,hoping that we would encourage admirals to our garden. Visiting my local garden Centre I was delighted to see a plant display for butterflies…I have a photo of the display – shall I post this On the societies site? If so where?

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.