Media interest

This topic contains 25 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Charlotte 9 years, 3 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Jennifer
    Participant

I wrote a letter to the ODT at the weekend and had a photographer and journalist around today. I dont know if their questions were incisive enough to gain much information but hopefully it will do a bit of good.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Charlotte
    Participant

Thanks Jennifer your help is greatly appreciated;-)
    I am going to work on my daughter to plant some swan plants at her place in Dunedin;-))

Cheers
    Char

Jennifer
    Participant

Unfortunately no promising overwintering leads for me. I thought there may have been but it has fizzled out. Lots of people have contacted me and I have been able to help several people with caterpillars large and small that are still growing and pupating outside. I will make a more detailed report on another thread. When I wrote a follow up letter i got more phone calls and I am thinking of doing another one in a couple of weeks reporting what people have told me to see if that sparks some further comments.

Charlotte
    Participant

Well done Jane a fantastic story.

Cheers
    Char

Jane
    Participant

OK Jacqui thank-you. I’ll check it out and get back to you : )

Jacqui

I know, it’s really hard isn’t it. Good on you for what you’ve done, Jane. Wonderful stuff. It’s all great publicity, Jane. Sometimes it converts to “members” but we don’t always see the results immediately.

Sad to hear about the overwintering site going for housing. Bugger. Could we send them a letter? Are the trees on the perimeter of the site, that they might leave them? If you could email me their details I will write to them, Jane.

Jacqui

Jane
    Participant

Hi all,

Sorry I have been tuned out.

Laura Jackson who wrote the article for the Standard rang me as a follow up to the article and said she was sorry the link hadn’t appeared for me to post up here – I’m sure she won’t mind you reproducing the info as she had meant to send it to us anyway, so don’t worry about that.

The article has sparked a lot of interest down here and I have had many phone calls from people interested and doing the same things – notification of two overwintering sites, schools and kindy’s, individuals…..an amazing response.

I have pointed nearly everyone at this website and forum to join in, so I’m hoping you’ve had some enquries Jacqui?

It has been really busy here as a result, but I have phoned everyone back who has left a message.

The two overwintering spots that have come to light are both under considerable threat, and according to elderly neighbors of one site it has been an overwintering spot for well over 20 years, but the heart of it was an old large conifer that has now been cut down, and the butterflies now only have deciduous trees that were either side to cling to…it’s just not the same is it!

The second overwintering spot near where I live is on land that has been sold to a neighboring retirement village. I have no doubt that they will cut down the old conifers to make way for retirement housing 🙁

I’m not sure where this leads us now, as it’s great to get all this new info, but most of it requires action, and I am already working full time and really far too busy to campaign

Anonymous

I would have it thought it a clear breach of copyright – especially without an acknowledgement of the copyright and ARR – but not one Fairfax would care much about most likely.
    The do sell subsciptions to their online publications.
    Easily fixed by a an email to the editor asking for permission to reproduce it – they should look kindly on a special interest group like MBNZT which is nationwide and because the interviewee is a member.
    This is covered in the forum rules.
    Lovely story about Jane and her monarchs!!
    Best
    Trisha

Jacqui

Jennifer
    Participant

I dont think I can Jacqui, it is a really weird site. Address shown in the box is
    http://www.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/viewer.aspx
    but that is just a hundred newspaper pages when you enter it. but if I Google the words – Manawatu Standard online – the search results give me this as the first item
    Search Results

Manawatu Standard online
    PressDisplay offers current issues of Manawatu Standard in the original form. Now you can read digital replicas of newspapers on your tablet PC or desktop …
    http://www.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/viewer.aspx?cid=1483 – Similar
    Clicking on that will take you to the current edition where as Blutterfy says you can choose the edition for 22nd.

Jacqui

Shouldn’t think you’ve breached copyright, Jennifer.

I just looked on their site and couldn’t find anything. Could you send me the link please?

Jacqui

Jennifer
    Participant

Oh heavens I hope I havent broken copy right. administrator please take a look.

Jennifer
    Participant

The internet is a strange thing. I originally looked it up by googling Monarch Manawatu Standard and that is when I got a lot of stuff from http://www.stuff.co.nz. eg Ahmed Zouai but nothing on Monarchs. This time I did as you said and googled Manwatu Standard Online and then could indeed see the relevant issue.

But I could get page 17 and read part of the article, but as you will see below that was strange. I got there by clicking on the banner headline
    What I could see was very good and should enourage people heaps
    The part I could read reads – (note there doesnt seem any writing on P1!!!!)

From page 1 The weather can thrash them, as well. Frost nips the caterpillars, killing them.

Those that make it to chrysalis stage aren?t safe either.

The liquid centre, where the caterpillar morphs into a beautiful monarch, is a tasty treat for wasps and a good place to lay their own eggs.

They break into the temporary homes, laying up to 300 eggs at a time.

Enter Mrs Carver, and others, in the Monarch Butterfly New Zealand Trust. Its members step in to step up survival rates.

During the past three years, Mrs Carver has helped rear hundreds of monarchs, achieving an 80 to 90 per cent survival rate.

Her garden is lush with swan plants.

The plants are a milkweed, part of a large family of plants of which only a handful are available in New Zealand.

The monarch lays its eggs on the leaves so when the caterpillars hatch, they can start eating straight away.

For a couple of weeks, the caterpillars gobble until they?re so big they can?t move.

Then, after eating their fill of milkweed, they form shiny green and gold-speckled chrysalises.

They spend about two weeks inside their liquid homes before breaking free as beautiful butterflies.

In the wild, they?re vulnerable to attack by predators and bad weather at any stage of development.

In Mrs Carver?s garden and house, protection rules.

She patrols her sanctuary, bringing the ready-to-chrysalis caterpillars into her glasshouse, putting them on swan plants. Some go to butterfly stage in the glass house; other chrysalises she brings inside.

For three weeks she watches protectively and patiently for the sticky, shaky monarch, to break free. Then comes the tricky part. Mrs Carver is also a butterfly tagger.

She is one of 160 official taggers throughout the country, all members of the trust. There are just a handful of taggers in Manawatu.

It?s a task of the utmost delicacy. She gently clasps together the wings of a new hatching, before it gathers full flight strength, and attaches to the underside of one wing a waterproof paper sticker, barely 1cm across.

??It doesn?t harm the butterfly at all. It?s about the same weight as carrying around a mobile phone would be to us,?? Mrs Carver says.

The stickers carry a unique code, plus the postal and website addresses of the trust. When people see a tagged butterfly, the hope is they contact the trust and pass on the tag number.

The information is valuable even if the butterfly is dead. It is part of a research project to track the butterflies? migration patterns. It?s message-in-a-bottle stuff.

The trust wants to learn where monarchs overwinter, because knowing that would mean these areas could be protected.

Usually, monarchs head to pine, fur, or even gum trees, to huddle together for the winter before they head out again to lay more eggs.

??Usually they head to tall trees so they catch the sun and are protected from predators,?? says Mrs Carver.

Most butterflies live only six to eight weeks, depending on weather and when they hatch.

Mrs Carver has tagged about 170 butterflies since she started three years ago.

Kindergartens and school have tagged thousands, she says.

But recently, the taggers have realised they are the only people looking out for the tags.

??People aren?t aware of what we?re doing, so they don?t know to look out for the tag,?? Mrs Carver says.

She continues to make her garden as much of a safe haven as she can for the popular insects.

As well as swan plants, she grows marigolds, buddleias,

Jane
    Participant

Hi Jennifer and Jacqui,

The article was written by Laura Jackson, and she was going to email me a link, but it hasn’t arrived. I have had a look at ‘Manawatu Standard online’, and after choosing the date (22nd May Saturday) I am able to see the Monarch and caterpillars on the front page (which looks great), but can’t go to the Magazine Page to look at the full article without logging in/joining etc.

I do however have hard copy in the form of the ‘paper’ itself.

Jane

Jennifer
    Participant

While searching for the Manawatu stuff I found an item in the Southland Times http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/news/3502391/Garden-party-for-royalty about Monarchs in Alexandra. I posted an email comment about the work of the Trust and tagging and offered to help people, presumably for next year, but who knows Monarchs may still be about in Alex in the daytime.

Jacqui

Oh wow, that sounds fantastic Blutterfy. I hope you’ve bought a copy for me and am posting it to me???

Jacqui

Jennifer
    Participant

Great Blutterfy. I couldnt find the monarch articles on the manawatu Standard web site today (Sunday). What is the full address for the articles?

Jane
    Participant

Full page feature in the Manawatu Standard yesterday Sat 22nd May about Monarchs and tagging. They also had a monarch on the front page and monarch caterpillars shown crawling on the headline letters : )

Jennifer
    Participant

The person in Mosgiel has agreed to tag and has ordered some. I showed her how yesterday.
    Jaqui, I dont know how you do all you do.

Jacqui

Hi Nicky

Yes, sorry, I have to answer these things on the fly as I don’t always have all the information at my fingertips (I’m not at home). Last “interview” was conducted by the side of the road in the Dome Valley.

It would be great if you could tag some, Nicky. Please request tags via the website

https://www.monarch.org.nz/wp-admin/admin.php?page=tag-request

There are still tags available… feel free to order more anyone reading this.

Participant

Who has contacted you Jacqui? I saw the article too, and well done………but I tag to – in Timaru……. (just not so far this season due to no butterfies) so the article had a wee error……….Jacqui, i am visiting the cluster and looking for others this weekend, do you want me to tag some if i can (will it not upset them if they are clustering?)……….if yes, have you got any tags left, as due to no butterflies at home this year, i didnt order any………

Jennifer
    Participant

Other people have asked me to tag. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. I cant cope with much visiting and I dont think I will have many of the new batch of 25 tags to spare. However one elderly lady enthusiast lives nearby and if I have some to spare I will tag hers. She once watched a pupa from 7pm till it came out at 1am. One person in Mosgiel has pupae all over her ceiling and in other odd places because she brought her swan plant inside!!! She has three hatched at the moment. I am emailing her again and will see if she wants a go at tagging.
    So they have finished in Timaru. I am still finding tiny caterpillars outside. We have had such a lovely autumn. 3 released today.

Jacqui

Great stuff, Jennifer. Awesome photograph too. We have now had inquiries from a Timaru paper, but I think they’ve finished tagging there.

Jacqui

Charlotte
    Participant

Well done Jennifer and nice to put a face to the name now.
    Great story and good to hear you’ve had a few enquiries already.

Keep up the good work Jennifer;-)

Cheers
    Char

Jennifer
    Participant

Well the ODT put it on the front page today. Go to http://www.odt.co.nz type monarch in the search box and at the moment it is the first item that comes up there or alternatively http://www.odt.co.nz/your-town/dunedin/106685/039fascinating039-monarch-latest-obsession
    I will have to do a follow up letter because they neither gave my phone number or the web address for the Trust.
    I have had quite a few enquiries through the reporter though so it is all good.

Jacqui

I’m sure it will, Jennifer. Well done. They phoned me as well. Can’t wait to see the article and to see what interest it generates.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.