McDonalds and Monarchs?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 9 years, 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Darren
    Participant

I took my kids to McD’s last night and was most intrigued to see a couple of Monarch Butterflies in the illustration on the current tray liner. I decided to drop them a note via their webpage contact form (http://mcdonalds.co.nz/contactus) congratulating them on their taste in imagery and suggesting they might also like to make a large donation to MBNZT.

I just did it for fun, which probably gives you a good idea of my warped sense of humour, but then I thought, hey what if they got 20 such notes? What if they got 600?

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

I couldn’t find anything in any of hte McDonald’s I visited Darren. Interesting that your Tauranga one had htem, and others didn’t. It would be good to know why/how…

J.

Darren
    Participant

Well I heard back from the McDonalds sponsorship team, a very polite ‘sorry not interested at the moment’ or words to that effect. And not even a free hamburger to soften the blow. Still, at least they replied. I haven’t had any reply from Robert Harris.

Jacqui

Tomorrow have two schools to visit here in Northland, over by Dargaville, then will make a beeline for the big city but doubt if I’ll be there b efore 3pm and have an interview… so McDonald’s for lunch is out.

Thursday morning at 7 I am flying to Great Barrier, back again after 5pm Friday. Maybe we can catch up in the weekend, Charlotte?

I have stuff here for you too. Will email you.

J.

Jean
    Participant

Phew! Glad it’s not just me seeing Monarch pictures everywhere, cos after a few days of retrieving roaming caterpillars I kept seeing black/yellow/white striped ‘things’ in the oddest places!! And I still keep checking out all the orange bits on our pine trees – just in case. J ;o

Leslie
    Participant

Ha ha Darren Me too, tagging, brain twisted, noticed the monarch on the coffee packet and bought that one instead of my usual !

Charlotte
    Participant

Jacqui. Come visit me at work and we will go to McDonalds at lunch in Greenlane if you like?
    Only just up the road from me;-))

Cheers
    Char

Charlotte
    Participant

Darren you’re the BEST!!
    There is no harm in asking that’s for sure.
    The more we get the word out there the better.

Cheers
    Char

Jacqui

I called into the McDonald’s at Kaikohe today, and there wasn’t a Monarch to be seen… and they’d never heard of it 🙁 but I did get the national sales/marketing manager’s name though!

Darren
    Participant

I think all this tagging must be messing with my brain because I’ve started noticing Monarchs in all sorts of places. I was at the supermarket and saw one on Robert Harris’ Italian Roast Coffee. I went to the website http://www.robertharris.co.nz/
    and there are Monarchs featured quite prominently all over their website. So I’m revising my McDonalds letter and firing it off to Robert Harris as well. *shrug* What’s the worst that could happen? I might even get a free coffee or burger out of it. 😉

YvonneWallis
    Participant

Excellent idea. Actually i have seen quite a few butterflies in adverts lately – will have to keep an eye out which ones.

Alison
    Participant

HIGH FIVE DARREN!

Darren
    Participant

Hi Darren,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our current tray mat. It’s nice to hear such positive comments, and we appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

We have passed your comments on to the national marketing team and the franchisee of McDonald’s 11th Ave for their information. We have also passed your email on to our sponsorship team for their information.

Kind regards,
    Cathy Sutton
    Customer Services | McDonald’s Restaurants (NZ) Ltd

email: care@nz.mcd.com | tel/fax: (09) 5394303

302 Great South Road, Greenlane, Auckland 1051

tramp
    Participant

well done Darren.Looking forward to reply.
    Tramp

Darren
    Participant

I don’t think you need to eat the food to use the form 🙂

This is what I put in their contact form btw.

I took my children to the McDonalds on 11th Avenue last night and was delighted to see a photograph of two Monarch Butterflies on the tray liner.

Congratulations on your choice of imagery. The Monarch Butterfly is a wonderfully evocative symbol of nature and freedom.

You are probably aware of the Monarch Butterfly NZ Trust (https://www.monarch.org.nz), a voluntary organisation which is co-coordinating a massive effort to tag and track Monarch Butterflies in New Zealand in an effort to find the overwintering spots of this beautiful butterfly and to provide research data on the health of its population in New Zealand.

This provides a wonderful chance for children to become involved in a genuine science research project. This was recently highlighted to the mainstream media when the Minister of Science singled out the Monarch Butterfly Trust for special mention as an organisation promoting science awareness(http://www.national.org.nz/Article.aspx?ArticleID=32535).

Many organisations have decided the cause of the Monarch Butterfly is worth supporting, and a list of the current MBNZT sponsors can be found here:
    https://www.monarch.org.nz/about-us/our-sponsors/

With your demonstrated interest in Monarch Butterflies I wondered if you would like to join them?

Charlotte
    Participant

Well done Darren. I feel a McDonald’s lunch coming on tomorrow. LOL

Cheers
    Char

Jacqui

Good idea, Darren. I’ll call in to McDonald’s on Monday… and then follow suit. Good spotting. 🙂

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.