Matchmaking for Monarchs

This topic contains 53 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Tamara 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Jacqui

It’s started later this year… but it’s happening. I am getting phone calls, emails, texts, messages and Facebook posts from people who have too much swan plant and want to get rid of it OR they have too many monarch caterpillars… OR the reverse: they want food or they want caterpillars.

So I’ve set up a Facebook page called Monarch and Milkweed Matchmaking.

https://www.facebook.com/Monarch-and-Milkweed-Matchmaking-934201763370682

Now I know that not everyone does FB so for anyone who posts here their needs, I’m happy to link that post to the FB page.

Let’s maximise the resources and build up the monarch numbers. Feel free to spread the word (and the link).

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tamara
    Participant

Hi Leslie 🙂

Thankyou so much for your reply. I have bought some cucumber..Ill go check out the Porirua lead 🙂

Thankyou so much 🙂

LeslieD
    Participant

Hi Tamara …the very big caterpillars can go onto pumpkin and/cucumber. But they have to be just prior to pupating. I have seen plants for sale on trademe in Porirua. good luck

Tamara
    Participant

Hi there 🙂

I live in the Manawatu and was wondering if anyone had any spare Swan Plants or would like some Monarch Caterpillars..as I have run out of Swan Plant..I gutted I allowed this to happen..but it has and I cant bear to watch them starve..The Hungry Caterpillar story isn’t nice in reall life :(..I would so appreciated any help please or advice.

Jacqui

In response to Vince’s question, you can buy seeds from us or on TradeMe. If you plant swan plants now, depending on where you are in Christchurch, you will need to have them in a sunny position and out of reach of frosts/snow. I would suggest planting them in pots and keeping them indoors during the worst winter weather.

Many people in Christchurch use Asclepias incarnata as once you have it established, it will spead by its underground rhizome and usually comes up each spring earlier than you can get swan plants in the shops. It is hard to get growing though – some people have the knack.

Cheers

Jacqui

Vivos
    Participant

Hi I am in ChCh and have about 10 to 15 caterpillars which have stripped my remaining plants bare. I thought I would have enough food but alas no. Can anybody help please? Willing to buy plants if there are any left for sale anywhere.

vinceconnie
    Participant

Hi
    I’m in Chch and have just hatched 12 hungry caterpillars, planning to have only about 7. Anyone in Chch able to take about 5-6? Would be very helpful.
    Just waiting for my last batch of 5 to hatch- should be today!

Cheers
    Vince

vinceconnie
    Participant

Hi
    I’m in Chch and have just hatched 12 hungry caterpillars, planning to have only about 7. Anyone in Chch able to take about 5-6? Would be very helpful.
    Just waiting for my last batch of 5 to hatch- should be today!

Cheers
    Vince

PS: does anyone know if the seeds that you can buy online will survive ok to be planted out next year, and is it too late to plant them no? Thanks

Jacqui

For Taupo, check out Facebook @MonarchMatchmaker. , Vanda’s post

Spike
    Participant

Great! Can you please email me frances_williams@hotmail.co.nz
    There are still many many more who would benefit from a new green leafy home…

LeslieD
    Participant

Hi Spike … I could take 10 or so if that would help.

Spike
    Participant

I’m in Newtown Wellington and have suddenly become over run with caterpillars. Is there anyone around who would like some? I’m happy to deliver.

Brenda
    Participant

Did you see Vanda’s post on February 23? She’s in Taupo.

wickhel
    Participant

I have around 40 monarch butterflies but am fast running out of food. I live in Taupo and would welcome some food as I don’t want to lose any caterpillars.

SallyM
    Participant

Hello everyone. I have many caterpillars and, now, no more plants. Today I bought a few and was given some branches but only enough to keep then going another day or so. DIRE.

Am in Whangarei.

Jillene
    Participant

Hello I have plenty of eggs, how many would you like?

Jillene
    Participant

Eggs anyone? Based BOP, but can post.

Jacqui

Where is who, Trevor?

TREVOR
    Participant

where are you…???????

Vanda
    Participant

I guys, Vanda here, posting from Taupō.

I’ve posted my availability to receive caterpillars on the Facebook matchmaking page, but just in case that’s missed I’m posting this here as well.

I have a very reasonable 2×2 meter patch of swan plants currently 2+ meters tall. My gross estimate is that that little milkweed forest may have produced 40+ butterflies this season. I keep finding empty chrysalises all over the place. I don’t usually have a lot of free time, so my approach to helping monarchs is pretty much letting them fend for themselves while providing help when I can. At least they have a place to feed, mate and many caterpillars do survive the predators.

Anyway, long story short. Swan plants are thriving due to, in great deal, the natural balance enforced by predators. This being said, it is still a chance at survival for your caterpillars if they are certain to starve to death.

Taupō is pretty central in the North Island, so you may know a neighbour or a friend who is driving through who wont mind dropping off some caterpillars at my place or wherever is more convenient for you – I will attempt to accommodate.

I am happy to share my mobile on request, alternatively we can organise the drop offs through Facebook messenger!

Glenys
    Participant

If anyone has too many caterpillars I have loads of leaves if you would like to offload any cats.
    I live in Tamahere, Hamilton, NZ (about 8 minutes south of Hillcrest) or maybe meet in Hamilton East or Hillcrest.

Glenys
    07 8566920

Becks
    Participant

Hi guys – have large number of caterpillars can anyone take them ! In papakura or Franklin area 😅😅 we can drop them – have to have a large number of plants !!

LeslieD
    Participant

I’m starting to cull eggs to try and avoid having over 100 caterpillars and no feed . Is anyone keen for eggs? I know mostly people are overrun with caterpillars now but I thought I’d ask before I get too carried away. i’m in wellington so cost would be roughly $8 for bag and courier to suburban area a bit more for rural.

vinceconnie
    Participant

Have 7 newly hatched caterpillars and unlikely to have enough plants to feed them. Anyone in the area want to adopt 3 or 4.

vinceconnie
    Participant

XS caterpilars?- anyone available to adopt? Redwood/Casebrook

Just hatched 8 caterpillars, probably 3-4 too many for the plants available. Any-one able to take a few over when they get a little bit bigger, or I might have to cull some soon?

ktikat
    Participant

New homes needed urgently Mid Canterbury

I have farrrrr to many caterpillars for my two large swan plants. Located in Rakaia, Mid Canterbury. Does anyone have plants but no caterpillars? 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.