Mantises mating – a threesome

This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  medusa 8 years, 7 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Chrissie Ward
    Participant

Yesterday saw a African mantis "threesome". One large green female, a green male mating with her, and another green male also hanging on to her side – waiting for an opportunity, presumably. They were all on the wall of our house, in Nelson, midday. Two of them died happy …

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

medusa
    Participant

I do not have sufficient permission to access this page…. Quote

medusa
    Participant

I don’t know what is going on, the link tells me I have no authority to access this page???

Jacqui

No way, it’s not too late. Any chrysalises from now on will definitely be the ones that overwinter, i.e. the ones we want to tag. The information you need is on the website –

https://www.monarch.org.nz/projects/taggingtransects/

There are four pages of instructions which should explain everything, and can be downloaded from that link above. They’re a pdf.

Tags are now available, but you may have to log in and put a tick in the tagging box (at the bottom of the page of your profile). You can then request tags here:

https://www.monarch.org.nz/wp-admin/admin.php?page=tag-request

And once your request is received, your tags will be in the mail the next day. Hope you enjoy the project. It will be great to have you on board.

Cheers!
    Jacqui

medusa
    Participant

Is it too late for me to tag for this brief time this season? as I said, I still have 57 chrysalis yet to emerge.

medusa
    Participant

Jacqui, I would be delighted to tag next season (my hubby is a scientist and is in awe of my success this year)

Jacqui

Hi Medusa – would love to have you tagging your butterflies… are you interested?

medusa
    Participant

How interesting Chrissie because yesterday I came across 3 mantis, ( I am in Nelson too) two of them were in my hatching cage, damned if I know how they got in there as it is pretty secure. For my first year I am very proud to have released 147 butterflies so far and with 58 chrysalids,
    still to emerge and 8 J’s and 9 catties at various stages still to grow, the next few weeks are going to be busy.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.