Lesser Wanderer sighted

This topic contains 25 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 4 years, 6 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

NormTwigge
    Participant

A Lesser Wanderer in fresh condition was sighted on the outskirts of Whakatane today, with a photograph to confirm the species. Feeding at flowers on swanplant.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Caterpillars are being found in Mt Roskill and Papakura – here’s a photo of one in Papakura, and on the FB page some lovely photo(s) of them in Mt Roskill

Lesser wanderer caterpillar

Miranda
    Participant

I guess I must have had more than one lesser wanderer stop by, because the one I caught was male, and I obviously had some eggs in my garden. I just found this little guy in amongst the monarch caterpillars in my tent:
    https://www.monarch.org.nz/2015/02/18/lesser-wanderer-caterpillar/.

NormTwigge
    Participant

Miranda, it is a Lesser Wanderer, in a rather worn condition by its appearance. Looks like a male.

Miranda
    Participant

One of the monarchs hanging around my swan plants caught what I think is a lesser wanderer – I thought it was two monarchs mating when they first fell out of the sky but this one doesn’t look like any monarch I’ve seen. I rescued it and I’ve got it in my tent at the moment. I managed to get a photo this time, but I will probably release it shortly.

Lesser wanderer?

clinton9
    Participant

Welcome tmd,
    Can you please send photo of 10 caterpillars

tmd
    Participant

Im new to this and joined because I have about 10 Lesser Wanderer Caterpillars on my swan plants and I’m not sure if they are pests or good, do I leave them alone? Are they going to affect my monarch caterpillars?

clinton9
    Participant

I saw a female Lesser Wanderer butterfly flying over swan plants & laying eggs, then I caught it barehanded for Norm Twigge.
    I photoed it, but unable to post to this website.

Errol
    Participant

Yes I caught a glimpse of it too and guessed it was probably a lesser wanderer.

Jacqui

Did you see the Lesser Wanderer photo on the TV1 Weather Forecast yesterday? Sadly, they didn’t explain about what butterfly it was etc.

clinton9
    Participant

Members,
    You need to catch female Lesser Wanderer butterflies and send to Norm Twigge so he can breed these butterflies.

Please take eggs & caterpillars indoor to rear them, so you will have new NZ bred Lesser Wanderer butterflies by March.

Lesser Wanderer butterflies need our help in ensure these caterpillars won’t be eaten by Chinese Paper wasps.

11 years ago (2004) I had seen Lesser Wanderer butterfly eggs being eaten by mites and wasps ate caterpillars of Lesser Wanderer butterfly.

Jacqui

Sorry folks but I’m rushed off my feet right now. Believe me, it is a Lesser Wanderer. I will ask the people posting if they will post in the forum – if they don’t you’ll just have to take our word. There is a huge difference between a Lesser Wanderer and a Yellow Admiral.

The three locations are Alfriston, Tuakau and Mt Roskill. The Mt Roskill one is quite worn!

clinton9
    Participant

I am agree with Errol, otherwise as yellow admiral butterflies.
    Yellow admiral butterflies can be mistaken for lesser wanderer butterflies, because of similar appearance.

Photos saves misID these butterflies.

Errol
    Participant

Jacqui, I’m not on Facebook so can’t see your latest Lesser Wanderer photos. Can you put them on the Forum, on this topic please?

lostcat
    Participant

We had one in our garden last week in Kaiwaka

Jacqui

Two more Lesser Wanderers have been seen… in Alfriston and somewhere else in AUckland. Photos on our FB page…

TanyaWatson
    Participant

its been back again today (well I cn’t say if it was the same one or not) but one of these have been here today, we were just heading out the door to go to work and saw it, sadly cause I was going to work couldn’t really stop to get more photos and to watch it, maybe tomorrow it will come back again

Miranda
    Participant

I think I may have seen one of these in Auckland yesterday. It flew off my swan plant as I walked past. I followed it for a while but it refused to land so I can’t be 100% sure. It caught my attention because it looked like a miniature, slightly faded, monarch as it was flying around. I wish I had managed to get a photo so I could be sure.

milkweed
    Participant

thanks Norm!

NormTwigge
    Participant

Hi Tanya, the eggs are identical to monarchs eggs so the best way to tell is from the caterpillar that emerges and is a week or two old. It would pay to keep any eggs or newly hatched caterpillars in a secure place to prevent wasps and other predators making a meal of them.
    Please email me if you would like any more information on them, I am in Whakatane.

normtwigge@xtra.co.nz.

TanyaWatson
    Participant

Ive just been out to look on those plants and the ones around it and ca’t see any eggs – we do have these tiny white moth type things on our swan plants – our new ones only, so maybe thats what it was, there is an egg on one plant futher down where I also saw the butterfly, but how do I tell the difference from the monarch egg and the lesser wanderer egg?

Zac
    Participant

norm,

it might be worth contacting the person who took this photo as there looks to be eggs on the the swan plant in the photo, the specimen appears to be a female too, so it is possible it was visiting the plants to lay eggs

Jacqui

Jacqui

The photo is on Facebook, I will ask the photographer if she will share it with us here.

Jacqui

clinton9
    Participant

Norm can you post a photo ?

milkweed
    Participant

Norm will you post the photo?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.