Less Monarchs?

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  mattie 1 year, 11 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

alanjacqui
    Participant

Hi all, I haven’t had any eggs layer or caterpillars as yet. Is anyone else experiencing this? I am in the porirua area of wellington.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

mattie
    Participant

Hi. I am in Titirangi Auckland and have had eggs for about 6 days and I also found a wasp amongst the plants this morning. Monarchs flying around the garden in ones and twos.

Caryl
    Participant

Hello Leslie, I have plenty of plants too. Most survived our awful winter so expect eggs next week! I visited the winter over site in Porirua and alarmingly I have been there 3 times this winter and not one butterfly. This is a site that has been used by butterflies for more than 46 years. Last year I saw hundreds there. I suspect the trees may be dying as there are far fewer leaves on them (gum trees). Do post when you have the first eggs of the season. Caryl

LeslieD
    Participant

I have low expectations too Caryl … hope I’m wrong. Got lots of plants though. so I guess we will just have to see.

clinton9
    Participant

On 13th August this year I had found a mating pair of monarch butterflies in Thames.

Caryl
    Participant

Hello, I also live in Wellington.It’s too early to have eggs yet. Our winter has been very cold. I usually have monarch eggs the first week of September, not far away. I am seriously concerned that our winter over population is a lot less than previous years due to or poor summer and very reduced numbers of monarchs.
    Caryl

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.