Lack of butterflies this year, is now the opposite.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Issy1 6 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

GaynorTait
    Participant

Up to the beginning of January, I only had 2 or 3 butterflies in the garden. Lucky if I got 2 or 3 caterpillars.!But now there are many butterflies, and have approximately
    60 caterpillars most of which are ready to hang, plus about 12 chrysalis to hatch. Over the last 3 days I have released 14 butterflies.7 Females and 7 males. Still have baby caterpillars.too.

My niece said in Bunnings Plant dept, in Tauranga, last week there Monarch butterflies everywhere.!!

Saw a Yellow Admiral at my Sisters last week.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Issy1
    Participant

We are having a brilliant year this year compared to last year, with few butterflies laying many, many eggs around our town in Otago, a great talking point. My New Year’s Day butterflies were laying eggs in different gardens, 3 days after hatching. I tag my butterflies.

LeslieD
    Participant

Yes, its all go here too. BUT interestingly it depends what part of my garden. My top garden has fabulous plants and is getting laid on regularly but very few eggs or hatchlings survive. so, something is getting them. I’ve tossed off some little golden spiders and I’m seeing those golden harvester wasps there a lot. The spiders will be guilty the others I’m not sure. Down the bottom part of my garden is all go.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.