Jellicoe Park, Onehunga, Auckland – Overwintering site

This topic contains 11 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Swansong 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Swansong
    Participant

“Well Al & I did wonder if the butterflies we released in the park could smell their fellow butterflies if they were there as well?.”

This is something that has interested me too. Obviously there must be SOMETHING that draws them together when they seek out to cluster but I wonder what. I certainly wouldnt rule out smell.

That pesky BB! Good on you for rescuing your butterfly. I would have been excited too.

Cheers
    Swansong

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi All,

We decided to call into Jellicoe park on our way back from Hamilton today.
    The Monarchs were active today and at least around 12 that we could see through out the park.
    We did notice a Yellow Admiral chasing a Monarch, then a Tui came and swooped on the Yellow Admiral.

I was just casually walking around the park, when I saw a blackbird pecking at something on the ground. The closer I got to the blackbird I noticed he was actually pecking a Monarch butterfly.
    I chased the bird away and rescued the Monarch butterfly.
    This is the amazing bit!!. I checked the butterfly to see if it had a tag on it, and WAHEY yes it did!
    One of my tags as it so happens. As we released some Monarchs into the park last Sunday. So we found him a co mate in a tree and placed him with his fellow butterflies.

People walking through and around the park, must have thought “we had lost our marbles” and were straight out of a mental home!!. With the way we were oohhing and aaaahhing at the Monarchs flying around and seeing them in the trees;-))

Cheers
    Char

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi There,

Yes I logged the tag numbers on the website as being released from Jellicoe Park. The park already pops up when you write the address in.

Well Al & I did wonder if the butterflies we released in the park could smell their fellow butterflies if they were there as well?.

Be interested to know on this one.

Char

Jacqui

When you go to this page here

https://www.monarch.org.nz/wp-admin/admin.php?page=tag-butterfly

it gives you the ability to record a different address. This can be a bit of a problem when you’re in a park – but if you look it up in Google maps (www.maps.google.co.nz) beforehand you can usually choose an address that is within a few hundred metres of the park/release point. For example:

If I released them at the north-east corner of Jellicoe Park,

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=jellicoe+park,+onehunga&sll=-41.244772,172.617188&sspn=30.386804,56.601563&ie=UTF8&ll=-36.916431,174.781054&spn=0.000989,0.001727&z=19

I would use the address 131 Trafalgar Street, Onehunga which gives us the co-ordinates:

-36.916379 and 174.7809820

If you look at that rather long url above starting maps.google, you will see that the code in there is pretty close to the one that is generated by the search facility on the tagging page.

Hope that makes sense?

Jacqui

Anonymous

Interesting, Char
    Did you log the release address as your own or the park’s address.
    I guess they have better chance if you released them where clusters are know to exist?
    I have given a few chysalides away to different suburbs and not bothered to follow up with getting them tagged when they emerge.
    Would love to know the correct way to do it.
    Best
    Trisha

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Angie,

We wandered around a few of the trees looking up into them.
    Will go back next weekend to see. We did place our tagged Monarchs in a tree over the other side from the golden totara tree.

Cheers
    Char

They may have moved to other trees in the park.

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi All,

We took a trip to Jellicoe Park this afternoon around 3pm. We had 10 Monarchs that we thought we would release into the park.
    The day was starting to get overcast when we arrive at Jellicoe Park.

However we could not spot 1 Monarch in the norfolk pine or the golden totara tree near the water fountain.
    We wondered around a bit and had a look up other trees and could see nothing.
    We did release our 10 tagged butterflies we had into a sheltered tree at Jellicoe Park. Hope others will come back and that we have done the right thing here?

Cheers
    Char

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Angie,

Good directions. Hubby and I went and had a look today around 11.30am. I think it was too early in the day. There was around 6 that we could see flying from tree to tree and then settling for a while on the tree.

We shall go back in a few weeks to see whats happening.
    Great when you know how to spot them!. Just have to watch where you are walking. LMAO.

Cheers
    Charlotte

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Angie,

Thanks for the info. Hubby and I are heading there tomorrow to take a look. Now we know exactly where to go. Cant wait to see.

Thanks
    Charlotte

Jacqui

Hi Angie

Great to hear. Have you reported this to http://www.mb.org.nz? I hope you can do so, it goes straight into the database that way.

Jacqui

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.