Is there any way to re-attach a chrysalis that has been knocked off?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Nola
    Participant

I was walking around my gardening admiring the 6 chrysalises that I have now got and my gardening companion, one of the cats, batted at the hanging chrysalis. He knocked it off into my lap so it didn’t hit anything that wasn’t soft, but now what can I do with it? Is all lost?

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Good advice Leslie although I leave mine lying flat and they are perfect This work for me !

LeslieD
    Participant

I’ve had success propping them up against a surface they can climb onto. I used a teatowel and made a little mound out of part of it next to the interior wall of a mesh food cover … you know the ones that look like an umbrella without a handle … then I just sit the chrysalis more or less upright. You can buy the food covers cheap from mitre 10 or even a coin shop might have them. If you are keeping it inside it pays to mist the chrysalis daily to make sure it does not dry out and you end up having a hatching disaster. All going well the butterfly will emerge and climb up the wall of the food cover to dry out. good luck 🙂

monarch mama
    Participant

Hi, I am trying to find an answer and I can’t seem to see one. Our daughters monarch chrysalis fell off this morning. What do I do? I sort of propped it up so that it is upright, although it’s at an angle slightly, but will that be enough? I think I saw someone say that it can’t be sideways but I am afraid to touch it and break it. Any suggestions or answers?

Thomo
    Participant

I have just put a bit of hot glue on a stick (I use chop sticks,and I have drilled holes on a block of wood to stick them in) let it cool slightly then gently attach the crystilis to it, they have all hatched and made it OK.

Jacqui

Hello Sarina

I suggest that you “wait and watch”. There’s not much else you can do. Cabbage whites are quite different from monarchs in that they have a “girdle” which attaches them to the stem/leaf as well as the ordinary cremaster.

I have never bred them so wouldn’t be able to advise you. Here’s a picture of what it should look like here.” target=”_blank”>here.

Sarina
    Participant

Help! Caterpillar hasn’t made it’s chrysalis yet and it has been broken off by my little sister! Help, it a cabbage white butterfly and it was also squished a little

Kathleen24
    Participant

Nola, this is only my second season at this, but I can tell you, the more caterpillars you have, the higher the chance you will have chrysalises falling off. There are many reasons this can happen – weather, other caterpillars eating the leaf, something brushing against it…

Sometimes, the caterpillar simply attaches itself to something too flimsy, and it falls off while it’s wriggling around trying to pupate – so long as it survives the fall, you can attached to something, maybe once it’s hardened. (In my current batch, I’ve had two that did this – the one that fell a short distance seems ok, the one that fell a metre probably isn’t, but I still tried!)

Nola
    Participant

Wow, there are some great suggestions there, I now have several ways to try things out. Thank you very much to all of you. I hope you are wrong Bernie F. and that there are no more horrible times like this one, lol.

Kathleen24
    Participant

Another idea, which I have found quite successful, is to (carefully) clip the black stalk of the chrysalis with a bulldog clip (aka butterfly clip!). I then attach it to a string (I’ve used that stretchy fabric that is now commonly sold as garden twine) and tie it somewhere so it dangles down.

This allows it to hang freely, and the emerging butterfly can walk up the string to dry its wings.

Of course, the other suggestions are just as good! All the best.

Bernie
    Participant

If you have trouble using string,I just put a little blob of DIY mastic on a surface such as a piece of tissue paper and stick the twirly bit in it.Leave for about half an hour until the mastic has set and then just hang the paper up.
    Either method should give you 100% success every time(and there will be other times!)
    Bernie F.

milkweed
    Participant

Gently tie the twirly bit at the top of the chrysalis with cotton thread (if the top is still attached) and hang a couple of inches above a sock with CDs or books in a room free of direct sunlight and any animals until it changes colour and emerges. (Worked for me many times). Hope you understand my description!

Nola
    Participant

Thanks Jacqui, I have got several food protectors. I am so pleased that my cat hasn’t killed a precious Monarch butterfly. Thank you so much.

Jacqui

No, they emerge just fine – the easiest way is to put it (lying down) beside something that the butterfly will be able to crawl up when it emerges, like a net curtain. My preference is the inside wall of a caterpillar castle or one of those lunch fly protection cover things which I don’t know if they’ve got a name – like an umbrella without a handle?

Food protector

Put the chrysalis right beside the side – on the inside, and it will climb up as soon as it emerges so that it has enough room to expand its wings.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.