Is 'effectively helping cheaply' a contradiction in terms?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jarad 4 years, 10 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Jarad
    Participant

I’d like to help due to my attraction to monarchs, but can’t easily afford to take the course or buy a castle for my prospering metre tall four month old swan plant in the small garden beside my flat.
    After seeing butterflies land on it I checked for eggs and larvae eventually finding a small caterpillar. However not long after that it disappeared and I suspect it was found by one of the praying mantis I occasionally see here, even finding one on the plant not long after that. I also see one or two ants scouting on the swan plant whenever I go to it, and snails are in abundance in the nearby creeper only really coming out when it rains. I believe I’ve seen those wasps about too but I’m not certain.
    I can attack the snails by borrowing some Blitzem from my mother and try to make one of the ant poison tubing things that Jacqui speaks of if she can describe it a little clearer (or even better post a picture of one), but am I fighting a losing battle without owning a castle to defend against other pests?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jarad
    Participant

Jacqui by “tubing” do you refer to a small part of a bicycle inner tube around the plant’s base? If so does the ant killer remain effective inside it if the ants aren’t in direct contact with it?

Jacqui

Hi Jarad

Even an old net curtain from the op shop thrown over the plant will make it harder for wasps to get your caterpillars, Jarad.

I put the ant killer into tubing merely to keep it dry from any bad weather, to keep it safe from any other animals and to keep it clean.

Jacqui

milkweed
    Participant

The Wasps stop eating the caterpillars in February but in the meantime you could put a branch of milkweed in a jug of water and put it inside the house on a sunny window sill and change the branch every few days when the caterpillar eats all the leaves. The branch may also begin to root so you can then create another plant by putting it in a small container of moist potting mix or soil to grow-on.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.