I’m looking for a friendly fungicide

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anna 8 years, 7 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

happyjohnny
    Participant

I’m looking for a friendly fungicide that won’t hurt the caterpillars and other insect life.

can anyone recommend anything that they’ve had success with?

it doesn’t have to be ‘natural’ as long as it’s caterpillar and environmentally friendly.

It will be for use on some of my Flowering Plants which are prone to a white mold (roses, dahlias, snaps, etc) and NOT sprayed directly on any swan plants or nettles.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Anna
    Participant

Oh good Thanks for that…Ive just found this after posting a question in another one.

Jane
    Participant

Organic fungicides are always used to prevent rather than cure both Powdery Mildew and Downy Mildew. Once you begin to see the fluffy growth (mycellium) on the leaves it is too late.

Organic fungicidal sprays include copper (available from a nursery) and baking soda (from your kitchen or supermarket).

I don’t think caterpillars would appreciate being sprayed with either, but as Asclepia aren’t usually susceptible to the mildews it shouldn’t be a problem.

Spray only your plants that get the mildews – Dahlias, Delphiniums, Snapdragons. if you are spraying a dahlia next to something you don’t want sprayed just hold a board between the two plants so the spray only gets the target plants. You will need to repeat applications after rains with following cloudy weather ie susceptible times)

Also – mildews are caused by lack of air circulation, so , using Dahlias as an example – once they have gained a bit of height, strip off the lower leaves that get splashed from rain hitting the soil. That is the time when the fungal spores which have been dorment in the soil splash up onto the leaves – so go for prevention rather than cure. If you employ this cultural method, and, keep a bit of air-movement between plants, plus keep vigilant for early signs,- you may not have to spray at all. Keep a small handsprayer handy somewhere though, and after rainy damp weather – give the leaves especially the lower and cenral ones a bit of a puff and you will a long way towards keeping mildews at bay.

There will always be the occasional outbreak after damp cloudy weather following a hot dry spell. If there is a species in your garden that seems to be a mildew magnet – then just rip it out and get rid of it – there will always be others that are less susceptible. And lastly if you do have to spray, just do it in the early morning before the bees and butterflies get going and they shouldn’t then be affected.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.