I have 2 caterpillars on swan plants inside and 4 very small caterpillars .

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  ggh 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Joyce fowler
    Participant

Hi I have caterpillars inside and frosts outside Thinking almost too cold for these fellows outside in Christchurch . Do I let nature take it’s course?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

ggh
    Participant

I had a few caterpillars outside on my deck and some inside. A storm came, and I went out, expecting to see them clinging to their plants, but alas, no, they were gone. I couldn’t find them anywhere. And then came the hail. Poor things. I figured they were dead, but laid a few swan plants on the deck, just in case they were still wandering around somewhere.

Several days later, two of those caterpillars reappeared on the plants. I brought them inside and boy were they ever happy to be in the warm – they ate like fiends.

Currently Prodigal Son and Stormy are both chrysalides hanging next to each other on a branch in my kitchen. 🙂

Blake in Porirua
    Participant

I also have a few caterpillars inside still. wellington had hail and I didnt see 3 cats still outside. They died. Keep yours inside, give it a go. Tag those butterflies if you can.. would be quite interesting to hear of their success. I have 12 chrysalis still to hatch inside and they will be tagged, I hope they make it over winter

rob cooper
    Participant

its never to late keep them warm look after the plant need to be in the sun during the day found another 3 pillers today just had one from our plants go j and one go to pupa so yea cool

rob cooper
    Participant

we did caterpillers inside last yeay up till the end of may all of them flew away

rob cooper
    Participant

yea sorry to cold outside

rob cooper
    Participant

look after your plants keep pillers warm should be all good

LeslieD
    Participant

All my caterpillars and chrysalids are either inside or in my hothouse. Some will get through but its probably a bit late for the small ones I think. no matter what you do its late in the season and less light and the cold snaps take their toll. BUT its worth a try :). In the past when I’ve not had my hothouse and caterpillar castles I have let nature takes its course but its a bit sad.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.