hundreds of monarchs

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  rob cooper 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

joe
    Participant

I have masses of monarchs on the trees in my garden more and more each day can anyone tell me what they are upto and how long they will stay?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

rob cooper
    Participant

that would be so cool to se them you enjoy

Anonymous
    Participant

I must go and have a look 🙂

joe
    Participant

the property is named Newbery Lodge and is in chch

joe
    Participant

Hi most of them are in an Elm with a few on the maples and rhododendrons There are a few massive gums on the property but I havn’t spotted any on those yet. I did a bit of research and they arrive here every year about now.

Jacqui

Hello Joe

How wonderful!

It would be great if you could (also) log the information in to http://www.mb.org.nz so they can be counted.

Yes, Caryl is right. The monarchs overwinter on podocarps but possibly it’s a bit too early to see them massing for overwintering. It could well be that they are nectaring on the trees in your garden.

It would be helpful to know where you are located – but when you report that info. in to http://www.mb.org.nz we will will understand better what is happening.

Cheers

Jacqui

Caryl
    Participant

Hi Joe,Lucky you. Are there particular trees or vines they are on? Are they seeking and finding nectar? Do you have gum trees? Gums are frequently winter over sites for the last generation of monarchs that live until spring, mate and die within 4-6 weeks. If you are in the south it could be the beginning of this. They hang in trees and emerge when sunny to feed on nectar. Where are you? Caryl (Wellington)

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.