How to safely move a chrysalis

• Creator
    Topic

Rebecca
    Participant

I have about 4 chrysalis’ on the awning’s of my house, outside. I was thinking about moving them somewhere else now that the weather is cooler, since that part of the house never gets any sun or warmth anymore. I don’t know how to remove them without breaking the chremaster though. Does anyone have any ideas about how I can move them without breaking them? Thanks, Rebecca 🙂

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Caryl
    Participant

Rebecca, sometimes it’s difficult to tie it somewhere safe in which case i just lie it flat close to where when the butterfly hatches it will be able to climb immediately It must be able to because if not the wings will end up crumpled and the liquid leaks out instead of being pumped into the wings.  My butterfly which hatched last night in the warmth I tagged this morning and it flew away immediately – yes a female for Mother’s Day. I wished it well and asked it to return to lay eggs on my plants in the spring!! Let me know how you get on.

Rebecca
    Participant

Thanks for the reply, I will try that this afternoon. It seems a popular place for my caterpillars to make a chrysalis because I have a few more there at the moment even though it would be particularly cold for them there.

Caryl
    Participant

I have moved them when they have been in a place that was not safe and I did it by tying a piece of cotton around the cremaster, as far down it as possible then gently pulling it away then tying it to somewhere safe. Butterflies take much longer to birth themselves in the cold. My first butterflies of the season took 77 days from egg to butterfly. Just tonight I hastened the birth of one butterfly by putting the plant with the chrysalis on in a warm room and within an hour it was born. Good luck. Keep in mind many don’t successfully hatch at this time. I am in Wellington.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.