How far in to autumn will they stop laying eggs?

• Creator
    Topic

jules
    Participant

I am still getting the odd Monarch visiting the swan plants on sunny days and laying. This is my first year so I am unsure of how long they keep laying and can successfully grow?

I am still bringing in the very largest at their last instar and having them protected from my praying mantis plague. I have them in the conservatory which is warm during the day, but outdoor temp at night, it is well ventilated. Will they survive when hatched and migrate? I still have loads of leaves on the second planting of swan plants for them all.

Loads of questions there really. Any input and information appreciated.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Meeting tonight at Kerikeri now at Wharepuke, 5pm due to change of venue at short notice by The Pear Tree. Hope to meet lots of locals there.

Similar meeting Thursday night, 13th June, 5pm at DOC, Whangarei. See Coming Events for name of road.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi from Northland, I brought a caterpillar in two days ago which i found on my last swan plant (also dug up the plant) 🙂 Will I know when he is ready to go onto the next stage to chrysallis..he seems very slow…but eating well 🙂 Thanks

Jacqui

Great to hear, PST. I’m up in the Far North at present and seen eggs and caterpillars of varying sizes. And an overwintering cluster of Monarchs at Tauranga Bay – hope to get photos today.

pst
    Participant

This season appears to be a longer than usual one. Am just out of New Plymouth and had my first chrysallis 18 November 2012 and 100’s since then. Early April butterflies were still laying. End of April had 100’s of large caterpillars still to pupate and butterflies still laying. May saw about 50 new butterflies. June seems to have seen a lull of sorts but I still have butterflies hatching and a few caterpillars trying to survive, including some under 1cm long! Most of the later butterflies do seem to be small but then yesterday a real big beauty hatched. The later caterpillars were fed pumpkin and housed in a cage away from weather elements and predators. I still have 12 chrysallis’s to open, some still green , some showing orange colour.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Jules,

I had monarchs laying right into early autumn this year and I’m in Christchurch! They arn’t flying around anymore but up until lately seemed to come around anytime there was a warm sunny day. Have allot lower success rate with my late caterpillers/chrysalis than I did early in the season though I guess that’s just the way of things

jules
    Participant

Thanks Jacqui,

I am in Napier, Hawkes Bay. Loads to learn and I am loving it. I guess I have just never noticed before with as much detail as I am now. The ones in the past few day that have been here laying really are pretty battered, I guess the figure there is not much chance of seeing the winter out and may as well lay .

Jacqui

hello Jules

Only the Monarchs will know… well, I guess they don’t “know” that either. It depends on the weather – as the weather changes Mother Nature triggers a reaction so that the Monarchs sense that they should not mate until the spring. They will be sexually mature but will not mate/breed until the spring.This could be 1 April this year – and 1 or even 30 June next – just depends on “when” the day length/cold/wet/wintry weather arrives with a vengeance.

Whereabouts are you? Please tell us your location and then people who are close by can offer their comments too.

Jacqui

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.