Help for fallen pupae

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Terry
    Participant

It’s actually so very very easy to re hang pupae that have fallen to the ground. What I do is get the cardboard centre of a Kitchen towel roll and cut it length ways in to 12 inch strips, fold the strip, again length ways and press it hard between your fingers so that when you let go it forms a V shape. Along the bottom of the V run a bead of Bostic general purpose glue and pick up the pupae and press the cremaster in to the glue. when dry about 5 minutes later you can cut width ways the card board either side of the Pupae and tape the pupae to the roof of your container or any other surface you are using. I use this method with my Yellow Admiral pupae all the time and normally glue them in rows of 25 so I can keep a count in an easy fashion. then when they are all ready I place the strips over wires strung under the benches in the Butterfly House where they stay until ready to emerge, or in the winter the strips are taped to the lid of my largest breeding boxes and emerged indoors.

KathWiddowson
    Participant

I tried many different ways to save pupa that had fallen and only had the cremaster for holding on. I use very small pieces of thick nylon folded which I buy in rolls for tying up plants in the garden. See photo.

https://www.monarch.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/fallen-pupa.jpg

I then clip it all together with a clothes peg. I then have a clothes line in the butterfly house where I clip all the fallen ones. It always works. Kath

Anna
    Participant

Thats another good idea Clair.
    I have found muslin really good as a cover for containers with caterpillars/pupae, but it still needs checking for tiny holes that may let in one of those horrible Pteromalus puparium wasps.

Clair
    Participant

Yes, I’ve had fallen pupae that cannot be rehung because the cremaster was broken off. I tried the method on the website below with the picnic food protectors (available from $2 shops in sickening shades of lime green and hot pink). That is just another variation of Anna’s method, and they do work.

http://www.monarchwatch.org/rear/cages.htm

I did find it important to position the pupae correctly – leaning as upright as possible against the side, and correctly facing so the butterfly emerges on the ‘outside’.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.