Good climbing nectar plant?

Tagged: , ,

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Shaun
    Participant

Hello folks. :-)

I’ve decided that the bouganvillia that has completely covered the front veranda has to go. It would be nice to replace it with a climbing that is a good food plant for butterflies. I would appreciate some suggestions please.

Thanks, I’m new to ‘butterfly gardening’ beyond providing larvae food.

Cheers,

Shaun.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Shaun
    Participant

Thanks to both of you for looking into this for me. The Mexican Flame Vine sounds great! I bet we don’t have it here. Thanks for the warning about Honeysuckle. After the way this Bougainvillea has got away on me I’ll not let anything get such a head-start again. 🙂

Cheers,

Shaun.

Gilly
    Participant

I have seen monarchs feeding on honeysuckle but beware, the honeysuckle IS very invasive Misfit. It just takes over.I don’t know this Mexican flame vine Jacqui but would be interested in finding out if we have it here in NZ. Anything for our monarchs! 🙂

Jacqui

Here’s some thoughts from butterfly people overseas, Shaun – unfortunately both plants do not seem to be available here in NZ, but I’d be interested to find out if they are available. I will ask Robin Booth who has Wharepuke Subtropical Plants here in Kerikeri and add to this conversation if I find out more:

Try Coral Vine (Antigonon leptopus) sometimes called “Rose of Montana vine. Its the best vine I know for nectaring butterflies. Fast growing, and will cover a wall/trellis in no time. Beautiful pink (I think you can get white too) panicles of flowers. Masses of flowers for a long period of time. Hardy and good to about -5C, but better in warmer regions where it does not become deciduous as it does where you get frosts. The butterflies love it!
    regards
    Nigel

Mexican flame vine (genus Senecio). There are a few species and cultivars in the nursery trade. Monarchs love it, as do most other butterflies in my Maryland yard.
    Denise Gibbs

I like Mexican Flame Vine. It’s beautiful too!
    ~Edith

Yes–senecio confusus Mexican Flame Vine. (and I LOVE the Sao Palo Red) I grow it on an arbor at the entrance to my garden and it ALWAYS has nectaring butterflies, esp. Monarchs, on it! (They are almost always at the uppermost part of the arbor.)

The only drawback is that the stem is not truly “clingy”, so you’ll need to help it attach periodically. But it blooms abundantly here (So. Cal.) almost year-round. If I knew how to attach a pix, I could send you one with at least 3 monarchs in one small area of the vine.

Maureen

Shaun
    Participant

Thanks Gilly, much appreciated. I was thinking about Jasmine, Star Jasmine, Honeysuckle, Clematis…

However, I don’t know which ones butterflies like and which flower for the longest periods. I’d considered Wisteria but I don’t know if butterflies feed on it and, as far as i know, it can take years to mature and flower.

I was also thinking that it would be preferable to have a late-summer flowering vine over a spring flowering one as there are more hungry butterflies around late summer.

Thanks, 🙂

Shaun. (Now the decision to replace it has been made, I’ve got the daunting task of removing the Bougainvillea!)

Gilly
    Participant

I have a Gelsemium semperviren (carolina jasmine) growing through a hedge… have seen monarchs on this but not sure if they are just sitting in the sun or feeding… pretty climber – only flowers once a year. There is the NZ Rata vine (metrosiderous carminea) – my book says this attracts bird so might attract the butterflies? NZ passion flower (Passiflora tetranda) which attracts the birds… I have seen monarchs on this plus I have seen monarchs enjoying my old fashioned climbing roses. Will keep looking misfit 🙂

Gilly
    Participant

Will do some research on this Misfit. I have a wisteria which is totally rampant.. the bees love the flowers but have never seen a monarch feeding on it. Will get back to you on this.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.