Going into chrysalis ..another question :)

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 6 years, 6 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

notsotypicalblonde
    Participant

Yes, I know I am full of questions but I am so enthralled with these wee miracles of nature and want to do the right thing by them…

Background

This afternoon I had to pop back home to drop off groceries and I took a quick look to see if my 2 J’s had gone into their chrysalis and immediately noticed that one of the J pillars  was now hanging dead straight and looked like it had died, antenna all hanging  limply.  I was shocked and upset after the other recent J that died, as  I realised that the room had got awfully hot while I had been away, despite it not seeming like a very hot day when I left earlier.

I blew on it to see if it reacted and nothing happened.  In a panic and in hurry to get back to work and not wanting the other J to die to I grabbed the water spray and gave the plant a spray of water all over.  I then grabbed the tray of plants and took them through to a cooler room.  Upon putting the tray down I noticed that my “dead” pillar had now split his skin and was moving as to continue his pupation.  He then continued on to make a perfect chrysalis!

My question is did I save this wee guy by spraying him with water OR do all pillars go “straight” and have the appearance of looking dead just prior to pupation and I just happened to catch him “playing dead” 🙂

Katrina

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

This is a good video here, Katrina…

Remember this is a time lapse film… I wonder if you came in at the point that it had straightened out? You will see that there is a point where the caterpillar is quite straight…

Hope that helps.

notsotypicalblonde
    Participant

thanks for your answer Jacqui! 🙂 So does that mean that it is NOT normal for them to hang straight down vertically,  looking limp , antennas limp and not responding just prior to starting skin splitting/pupation?

thanks

Katrina

Jacqui

Hi Katrina

This is just my opinion – there are no rules. I have heard some people say that misting often helps them emerge. They can dry out when they’re in a state of change and if it was too hot…

There has been an interesting discussion in another overseas thread about temperatures and pupation… and it can get SO technical. You could spend days studying the topic and then still not get it right!

It is one of those situations that we will never know what was the “right” thing to do. But I think you with your quick thinking probably saved that one!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.