Germinating Hassles

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Stefan Olson 3 years, 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Caryl
    Participant

Hello Everyone, I thought I would use my electric propagator to get some swan plant seeds on their way early. Well they germinated quite fast and now are about 3 inches tall and so straggly. I have been using a fan to create wind to make the stems stronger but they remain very thin. Has anyone found a solution to this problem? Advice appreciated. Caryl

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Stefan Olson
    Participant

I’d agree with Richard. My experience is that they need to be moved to a larger pot or in the ground fairly early on. I have noticed that some of the self seeding Swan plants that I have seem to have a much bushier structure, and I think that’s because if they can expand their roots quickly they seem to put out more branches earlier on. But that is only my observation, don’t actually have any proper data to back it up with. It’s also weird because they don’t actually seem to build a massive root structure. If you pull a Swan plant out from the ground, my experience is generally isn’t that big underground but it obviously likes to spread its roots

Richard Rowe
    Participant

Hi Caryl

Great to hear that your seedling are growing well. I have just started a batch of seeds in christchurch.

I was thinking that maybe your seedlings are now root bound, if they are repotting them will have them take off and hopefully thicken them also.

Cheers Richard

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.