Fructose

• Creator
    Topic

kjm25
    Participant

I see that fructose can be used to make homemade nectar for the monarch butterflies. I was just wondering if anyone can please tell me where I can purchase it from and under what name and brand it is.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

FiLeBeau
    Participant

Of course some Butterflies prefer to drink nectar from the marbles in a lid – and others prefer the sponge 🙂
    Experiment to see what works for yours!
    Best wishes
    Fiona

kjm25
    Participant

Thanks very much Fiona. The info is much appreciated. The marbles sound like a really cool idea.
    Kim

FiLeBeau
    Participant

Hi Kim
    I get a small or medium sized lid off a click-clack lid or tupperware container or similar that has a bit of depth to it.
    I dont use takeaway lids as Ive seen Buterflies get caught under the edge of the rim.

I then put a natural Cellulose cleaning Sponge (not with antibacterial in it) from the supermarket in the lid. Coloured ones are fine – just check the wrapping to note they are not impregnated with antibacterial or disinfectant agents.

I then pour enough Nectar on the sponge so that the Butterfly can drink from it.
    I dont make it too wet – to avoid their wings getting wet.
    If you push your finger in it it should be a bit squeclchy but not saturated.

I also get another similar lid and put washed small marbles (from the Warehouse)
    in it. I pour the nectar to 2/3 up the marbles. The Butterflies stand on the marbles and drink!

FTI I make up Nectar as follows:
    1 ½ tspns [not 2] Honey – dissolve in 2TB hot, not boiling, water
    – add 1 cup cold filtered Water
    1/8 tsp Soy Sauce
    Store in the fridge.
    Honey is mostly fructose and partly sucrose and other ‘dtuff’!
    I would not recommend sugar (sucrose), altough some sites do.

Best wishes with this
    Fiona

kjm25
    Participant

Thanks for the info Fiona. How do you feed them the nectar.
    Kim

FiLeBeau
    Participant

Phone an Organics shop and see if they stock natural unflavoured fructose.

Or online try https://nz.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/fructose

I just melt raw honey in a little hot water then and add tamari or organic soy sauce and water 🙂

Regards
    Fiona

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.