Fresh eggs

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  yvonnemcgillan 5 days, 16 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Melody
    Participant

Watched a couple of very thin and tattered Monarchs visit swan plants yesterday. Saw one deposit an egg. Looked closer and realised there are at least half a dozen eggs total. What a surprise.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies

yvonnemcgillan
    Participant

We’re in Whakatane and have eggs on our swan plants too! No sign of caterpillars yet, although we have the last chrysalis of the season. We’ve had monarchs visiting almost every sunny day during winter which has been delightful. I have noticed Monarchs overwintering at various spots around Whakatane.

Caryl
    Participant

Mieta this is so interesting. I am in Wellington and for the first time since 2012 I have eggs in mid August. The females had laid eggs the first week of September every year. I have sprayed all my plants with a weak bleach solution yesterday as the black death visited last year and it was awful. Caryl

Jacqui

Sounds like you’ve got some good information there, Mieta. Could you please add your data to our database at http://www.mb.org.nz. It would be very useful You can adjust the date right back Thanks in advance if you will help !

Mieta
    Participant

First butterfly laid a dozen eggs on my battered Swan Plant today in Christchurch. It was 18 September the first eggs were laid last season and 28 September the year before. I’m so glad to see them back!

Miranda
    Participant

I have eggs in Papakura too. I even spotted a tiny caterpillar this afternoon, when I went to have a quick look for eggs. It’s a bit of a worry given the cold weather we’re supposed to get over the next few weeks.

Caryl
    Participant

Tonight I returned from 4 weeks of house sitting and in the dark reached for a torch to search for eggs and yes I have some too – this is the earliest I’ve ever had them in Wellington. Thankfully a lot of my plants have survived the winter and are looking good. Caryl

Jacqui

Please send them my way! I have some luscious plants here waiting for them. 🙂

Blockhouse Bay.

Melody
    Participant

West Auckland

Jacqui

Whereabouts are you Melody?

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.