Forked Proboscis

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic

quiescent
    Participant

Hi, I have just had a male eclose this afternoon but I have noticed that its proboscis is still forked and not yet knitted together. It has been approx 4-5 hours now and I was wondering how long this should take and if there is anything I can do to help it knit?
    It is a beautiful big butterfly and the thought of him starving is upsetting.
    Any advice would be great.
    Thanks

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

mok.monster
    Participant

Hello, I have just had a very crumpled monarch emerge from a chrysalis, which chrysalis I have been keeping inside due to its late season. The butterfly also has a forked proboscis. I was very worried that the forking was a mutation until I read this forum topic. It seems natural then, according to this forum topic, for the proboscis to be forked when emerging from the chrysalis.
    Another monarch butterfly I have has only 4 legs, with one of those bent up at the knee due to it emerging too slowly from its chrysalis, and late in the season, but it is feeding well.

quiescent
    Participant

Thanks Leslie. I did find a video online that used a toothpick to uncurl and help it to knit. I did try this yesterday but I am worried I’ve interfered and made it worse. I couldn’t really find anything else that may help. I’ve popped him outside today hoping that he’ll be ok. I wish I didn’t worry about them so much! Thanks

LeslieD
    Participant

It can take a day or so for the proboscis to knit together. And they don’t need to feed for the first couple of days so don’t worry. I had one last year that took a long time to knit and I found some videos on helping the process . It did seem to help. You can google it. I’d just leave it for now and it will probably fix itself.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.