First time w/ butterflies and one with deformity?

• Creator
    Topic

sen
    Participant

My butterfly emerged this morning and I found it on the bottom of the cage with wings not open and what seems like a black “helmet“ on its head. This “helmet” covers it’s whole head. It does not have visible eyes, no antennae, and no proboscis. I’m unsure what to do. I have it in a separate box filled with sticks and leaves. I have searched google up and down and can not find info on this. Any info someone may have would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

LeslieD
    Participant

What I would try and maybe someone has a better idea … might help if someone gently restrained it holding both wings together between thump and forefinger (assuming the wings are dry and set of course). Or maybe just gently hold the body in front of the wings. If you have a mister you could mist the stuck piece of chrysalis with warm water and very gently work at it with your fingernail .. it might break away in several pieces.

If you don’t have a mister just wet it best you can.

Be careful of the wings if they are still soft as they tear easily … good luck.

sen
    Participant

Thanks for getting back to me so soon. I have another one with the same issue except it’s wings are perfect. I’m unsure how to hold him and peel it off without harming him. (Sorry, I’m brand new at this). What would be a tool to use to peel it off? I only want the best for these guys. 🙂 Thanks.

LeslieD
    Participant

I’m guessing part of the chrysalis has broken away and its fallen with it stuck to its head.
    If you find them in time you can dampen the piece of chysalis and gently peel it away from the butterfly. Unfortunately if it has not been able to inflate its wings in a fairly short time it probably won’t be able to.
    Sometimes problems with the chrysalis are due to being too dry. If they are inside as many are this time of year it helps to mist them a couple of times a day with water as the indoor heating can dry them out.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.