First time trying to hatch and raise Emperor Gum Moths: NEED ADVICE

• Creator
    Topic

Andi
    Participant

Hi all,

I am a brand new member here. I hope this is the right place to post (and I did try to find other posts/threads on this but was unable – or maybe I did it wrong, so I am sorry if that’s the case).

I have previously attempted to raise Tiger Moths from eggs to adulthood but, in their late caterpillar stage, there was a disaster and the remaining caterpillars all died. It was truly devastating.

I recently came across an Emperor Gum Moth who seemed to be unwell. I took her home and she ended up laying over 100 eggs before perishing. I would love to be able to raise as many of these eggs to adulthood as possible, although I have next to no experience (no successful esxperience, at least). If anyone could give me some advice on how to care for the eggs prior to hatching, or any advice on everything that comes after hatching, I would be so grateful. I don’t know where to keep them; they’re currently in a paper envelope.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can offer some support.

Kindest regards,
    Andi

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Antherina
    Participant

Emperor gum moth caterpillars feed on Eucalyptus leaves. Especially the young leaves of the species that has blue/grey leaves. Give fresh leaves every couple of days and keep in a large escape-proof plastic box (e.g. from Countdown food storage section) with some air holes drilled in the lid. Line box with unscented paper kitchen roll and keep well cleaned out. I usually have two boxes, one clean and empty so I can lift the leaves and larvae into the clean one and add new leaves. Cut round caterpillars on dead twigs on on old paper towel. NEVER pull larvae off what they are holding onto as they can tear.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.