Female Laying Today – Wellington

• Creator
    Topic

Caryl
    Participant

I was surprised today to see a female laying eggs on 2 of my healthy remaining swan plants. This is very late in the season. She wasn’t very battered either. I assume butterflies are already in winter over sites here and it makes me wonder if females can lay their eggs when they emerge from diapause on sunny days. It was a maximum of fourteen degrees here. Caryl

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

mattie
    Participant

Same here in Auckland a couple of days ago. Healthy looking female spent sometime around my plants but I could only find one quite large egg.

Caryl
    Participant

Hi Leslie, It’s unusual I think. Today I was reading about the monarchs awakening from diapause in Mexico and it said they do so at ten degrees. That’s cold. Here I think it’s a few degrees higher that they emerge to nectar. The females we’ve had would be wintering over surely and only appearing on sunny days. Hope all is well with you. This site is notifying replies to posts it seems.

LeslieD
    Participant

Hi Caryl .. i’ve had a female laying eggs here in karori too. I assumed she was confused by the great autumn we have had and mated ..

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.