Uneven wings

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mattie 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

mattie
    Participant

Jacqui, I have one butterfly out of 21 hatched today with uneven wings. The smaller wing is slightly curled but she is trying desperately to fly. Can I even up the wings without hurting her? How much can one cut away safely?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

mattie
    Participant

Jacqui, I trimmed her wing this morning and she was such a little butterfly but ooh the joy when she took off. She flew round and round just loving the fact she could soar, great to see as I had just euthanised one with curled wings.

Quilta
    Participant

I have had three hatch the last few days that have been stuck in the chrysalis and cant get out. I have helped take the chrysalis off but there wings dont drop. First time that has happened

Jacqui

Hi Mattie – it’s a bit hard to tell without seeing the injury.

I have only ever trimmed forewings and have never taken more than the area covering the hindwings. Hold a butterfly with both sets of wings between your fingers. That way you can trim the leading edge of the forewings together, so that they’re both much the same shape.

You say it is “slightly curled” so this shouldn’t be a problem.

I took some photos of something similar and posted it on our FB page the other day.

Good luck!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.