Eggs

Tagged: 

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 12 years, 4 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Jacqui

Hi all

I’ve been asked how I raise Monarchs in my greenhouse. You can do this with any protected space – protected from the many pests that like to get at Monarchs.

I go around our neighbourhood looking for eggs or first instar caterpillars. I usually remove the whole leaf from the plant. These are plants that are growing beside the road or in public areas, wasteland etc where there are wasps. Or I have rescued them from plants that are on their way to the dump.

Now the next bit is my secret, my invention…

I take an eggcup and a length of corrugated card from an old, brown carton. I cut off a strip about 40cm long and about 4cm wide. I roll up the strip and stick it into the eggcup. Then I soak it well.

The little holes that are exposed make ideal holders for my leaves. If the egg (Monarch egg, not hen’s egg!) is laid at the very bottom, I can just ensure the tip of the stem is in the water.

After a few days, when I notice lots of frass (poop) around the eggcup, it’s time to move the whole arrangement to a milkweed plant in my greenhouse, and let the caterpillars crawl off. In about a week, I can remove what’s left of the dead leaves and use the eggcup again.

Hope this is of use to others.

J.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.