Dying butterfly

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  JulieAnne 5 years, 4 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

JulieAnne
    Participant

I hope someone can help me quickly. One of my butterflies emerged yesterday and was on the ground. I kept putting her up on a branch and she kept falling off so I brought her inside ( I was scared my cats would get her if she stayed on the ground ) and put her on a plate with some orange juice and some honey.
    One of her wings hasn’t formed properly, the bottom half on her right side. She’s still alive but I just don’t know what to do.
    PLEASE HELP!!

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

JulieAnne
    Participant

Awwww……I don’t know if I could euthanase…..suppose I’ll have to for the sake of the butterfly.
    Thanks Caryl

Caryl
    Participant

Sadly your butterfly will not be able to fly, feed itself or mate. It’s a tough choice – to euthanase (in the freezer) or give it some more time. In my experience with ones that can’t fly I allow them to live for a couple of days then if there’s no change I euthanase. When butterflies fall in the first couple of hours after their birth they do not successfully pump the liquid from their abdomen into their wings completely and thus the damage to their wings means they are unable to fly.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.