Does the cooler weather affect the emerging of butterflies??

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Spanner 5 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

GaynorTait
    Participant

We still have 48 chrysalis’s and 15 large caterpillars to finish the cycle to emerge as butterflies. The weather is getting a lot cooler, and wondered if that will affect the above.? Over the last 3 or 4 days, we have had two butterflies emerge with very crumpled wings…. Too crumpled to tag. We have had to euthanase them, so they do not suffer.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Spanner
    Participant

Roger. That’s what we needed to know.
    Thanks!

LeslieD
    Participant

Hi spanner … yes ok. Well you know how it is when we stand watching and one wing is scrunched at the end and just not coming down … time is running out 🙁 and its looking like it won’t happen. I had this critter in a cake cover so I picked up the cover with butterfly hanging from the inner, licked an index finger so it was quite wet and very gently reached in and stroked the wing down with wet finger … it was an immediate response :). worth a go if you are there.

Spanner
    Participant

Hi Leslie,
    Could you please elaborate on this:

“One wing was not inflating properly so I used a technique Fiona told me about and it worked! ”

Just in case… Thanks. 🙂

LeslieD
    Participant

So pleased I read this post lol. I’ve been waiting all day for a chrysalid to hatch. Its one of 8 on the dining room table under a cake cover. It had a bit of silk so i’d suspended it off the cake cover support. Anyway about 5pm it emerged all full of energy and started its little dance with enthusiasm. Luckily I kept an eye on it and when I looked round it had fallen (not far and on a soft surface) when a piece of chrysalis broke away. I picked it up removed piece of chrysalis off one foot. I put it up the side. One wing was not inflating properly so I used a technique Fiona told me about and it worked! Then it fell off the side again a big wet mess on its back. So I hitched it up again and it looks to be perfect. Its a female and I’ve even named this one … Klutze 🙂

Miranda
    Participant

Butterflies tend to take longer to emerge from their chrysalises as it gets colder (some look ready to hatch for days before there is any movement), and they seem to be more likely to get stuck or fall. Last year I kept my chrysalises in a spare room with the door closed so they didn’t get too warm when the fire was going, and found that those that did emerge in the cold were more likely to fall before their wings had dried or they simply didn’t make it out of the chrysalis at all. When I was around so I could help them if they struggled, I would move them into the lounge where the fireplace is. Within an hour of moving them I would have half a dozen butterflies emerging, with very few falling or getting stuck. They would be quickly moved back to the cooler room if the weather wasn’t suitable for releasing though, so they didn’t get any ideas about it still being summer.

I think I recall seeing someone posting that they had a similar effect using a heat light in the bathroom.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.