disappearing chrysalises

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Desiderata 4 years, 8 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Desiderata
    Participant

Being an enthusiastic monarch keeper, I added more plants to my garden to boost my population this year,and excitedly watched and waited for eggs to appear. Not disappointed I then watched as my cats grew and grew and my milkweed plants were eaten down to sticks (even the seed pods were eaten). So after seeing many Js turning into what I thought were healthy chrysalises (many attaching to a cabbage tree)so to see today that most have disappeared, literally. I am so disappointed but also curious as to what, could have taken them. In some cases the silk pad and chrysalis has gone, in some the top of the chrysalis is still attached (from the gold dots up).Could the answer be a pathogen, or predator. I don’t want to remove all the others unnecessarily if a I can’t control what is affecting my chrysalises, but Id love some help.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Desiderata
    Participant

Thank you Jacqui have done as you suggested – and now my cat castle is dusted off and is quite full of chrysalises.
    I have some cats coming up to the pupa stage so in the meantime I’ll start some rodent control.. Did notice a mouse running along our fence line some time ago so perhaps that is the guilty one. thanks again..

Jacqui

Another thought: You might also consider about doing our CREATE BUTTERFLY HABITAT course – it’s got some great material in it and more information that you’ll be able to pass on to your grandchildren.

There’s one starting in a couple of weeks!

Butterfly Gardening/Habitat Course

Jacqui

Hi Desiderata – I would suggest that they’re being eaten by a rat, mouse, hedgehog or shining cuckoo. You might be better to remove them and let the butterflies emerge indoors.

You will find instructions for removing pupae elsewhere in the forum.

I hope that helps you, and so sorry about the ones you’ve lost.

Jacqui

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.