deformed wings on newly hatched Monarch

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  medusa 8 years, 7 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Darroch
    Participant

Hi there, I have a monarch that has recently hatched. The chrysalis was ‘rough’ looking. Now that she has hatched it’s obvious her wings are very damaged. There is a hole in each of her wings about the size of a pinky finger nail – so pretty big. And the bottom wing isn’t straightening out properly at the base.

She can walk around, but when she flutters her wings she falls off whatever she’s on.

I feel she won’t survive, but am looking to you all for your experience. ( I have emailed photos)

Thanks in advance.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

medusa
    Participant

I am totally devastated, we have had rain non stop and when I checked my Monarch ’emerger’ cage today I found a butterfly lying on the rather wet floor having fallen from it’s chrysalid. The cage has a roof and tarpaulin but the wind had blown the rain onto the cage floor and it was totally soaked. I tried to dry it on a tissue but everything looked ‘wrong’ I didn’t know how long it had been lying in the water and finally realised that this was my first ‘freezer’ put to sleep. Sorry people, this is my first ‘Loss’ in my first year, I needed to share. I was so proud of my achievements on this my first year, pride before a fall etc?

Jennifer
    Participant

if it is Oe you might be transmitting it to other caterpillars. You need to bleach your gear and surfaces you handle them on. I can give you more info if you need it.

Darren
    Participant

Possibly Oe. There were probably colonies of the parasite where the “holes” are now. I suggest folding it into a paper towel and placing it in your deep freeze over night. Or hit it with a brick. 🙁

Darroch
    Participant

Sadly I think there’s more wrong with it that just holes in all the wings. It seems to have a deformed front leg as well and can’t grip. I’ve tried feeding it some sugar water but it’s just not interested at all. 🙁

Anonymous

Hello Darroch

I recently came across a site that describes how to REPLACE a broken or deformed wing.

http://www.livemonarch.com/hospital.htm

Jacqui
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.