Deformed Monarchs

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  GaynorTait 4 years, 6 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

AndreiH
    Participant

I have 2 Monarchs that seem deformed. One has a short body and one a normal sized body but they both seem to have something wrong with their feet. They seem to stumble around and lose balance, so they keep falling over and keep flipping backwards. I’m just wondering what could be causing this behaviour.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

GaynorTait
    Participant

I have just released a beautiful healthy female monarch butterfly, then discovered we had a grossly deformed butterfly in the castle with very crumpled wings. Put it in the freezer to stop it from suffering.

Caryl
    Participant

I’m wondering if their chrysalides were unmarked? This site is a good source of information about damaged chrysalides and the likely deformities in the butterfly.
    It’s sad to see isn’t it?
    http://www.butterflyfunfacts.com/pupae-flaws.php

AndreiH
    Participant

No, all the monarchs have emerged

Jacqui

Hi Andre – there are lots of reasons but as its late in the season, and numbers of diseased monarchs have built up over the summer, I would think that some sort of disease or pathogens is causing the problem. Another possibility is spray drift or chemicals. Monarchs can be easily affected by such things as flea collars on pets or the plug-in insect controls.

Take a look through some of the posts under the hot tag “disease” to the right here, this might help you sort out a few possibilities.

Do you have more monarchs yet to emerge?

Jacqui

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.