Deformed chrysalis

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  BlueSkyBee 6 years, 6 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

BlueSkyBee
    Participant

My swan plant has dutifully raised a fair number of caterpillars to chrysalis, but number 8 cat has not shed its skin properly, leaving the ‘nosecone’ peeping out of the bottom of the chrysalis, and has not ‘zipped’ up and closed over the back properly, leaving a kind of wing shaped canyon. It is all green and sealed, but not properly smooth like the others.

Is this chrysalis doomed?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

BlueSkyBee
    Participant

On closer inspection, the head of the butterfly has not formed, it still has the head of a caterpillar, as that part was actually outside the chrysalis. So I can’t imagine it would be able to feed. Don’t think it will last too long.

BlueSkyBee
    Participant

Butterfly looks totally fine, and hopefully will be flying away soon. 🙂

BlueSkyBee
    Participant

I’ve been watching this chrysalis with interest, yesterday it seemed to be going a funny colour, sort of brownish, I thought it was just going to die, but this morning it looks like it is going to hatch today, nice black colour with the orange wings showing through.

Hope the butterfly makes it! 🙂

Jacqui

Hi BlueSkyBee – it’s hard to tell from your description. I had three or four last week that when they pupated they must have died after a few minutes and ended up still being in the J configuration but the bottom half had shed its skin so it was the bright green. However, there must have been dozens that successfully made the transformation last week too so I don’t think it was anything in particular – perhaps those caterpillars had not had a good supply of food right from Day One.

Do let us know how it gets on.

Jacqui

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.