Death to aphids!

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  NormTwigge 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

NormTwigge
    Participant

Hi Wendy,
    If your black wasp had gold bands it was not the aphid wasp.
    Aphidius colemanii is a completely black tiny wasp about 2 mm
    long, about the size of a midge, which is tiny.

Anonymous

I have only to0day seen what looks like these black wasps on my apid laden swan plant, but mine appear to have gold bands horizontally round their lower body. Would thery be the sam,e as in tyhisa youtube and wioll trh Ocean Organics spray harm them? There are only one or two so not sure if they will overcome the yellow invasion.

Jacqui

DON’T RUB THEM OFF!

These sound like they have been attacked by either Aphidius colemanii OR ladybirds (I’ve forgotten which). You are effectively getting rid of one of Nature’s controls for aphids by rubbing them off.

Look at the Aphids handout on this site – under Projects, Pest Information. It explains it all.

swivel
    Participant

This was just fantastic, lets have some black wasps!!!!! I have millions of aphids that have over wintered in an ongoing life cycle,—can’t imagine what is going to happen to my plants as things warm up. The problem is far too big for me to control, so am living on hope. Out of 150-160 plants maybe 6 have died, these are 2 metre high plants, I am growing replacements, but many if not most of the remaining plants are right now (early August)heavily affected.

Over wintered b/flies are becoming very active and I have noticed a few eggs appearing, would have thought that unwise but maybe the b/flies know more than I about the upcoming month or two.

One more point, I assumme that the aphids that have gone into a hard shell are dorment?? or perhaps a reproductive time bomb awaiting the trigger of warmer temperatures??? There are many billions of these, they are hard to rub off the foliage.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.