Dead Chrysalises?

• Creator
    Topic

marian@idliva.com
    Participant

We have had a good year for monarchs, with about 20 hatching and flying off. However, we have now found a total of 27 dead crysallis’s, most of which have been attched to garden fencing out of reach of the sun.    Would this  have had any direct influence on them not reaching maturity ?    We have been waiting for a couple of months to see if they would hatch or not, and have finally had to dispose of them into them into the compost.  It had been very hot and dry here in the Wairarapa, but of course, there have been lots of cold nights recently.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Hello Marian

Full sunlight is the best place for them to be, Marian – although depending on the fence material, they may well have cooked there if the fence got too hot.

Personally, I would have just left them if they looked healthy – they’re not doing any harm just hanging on the fence. But I suspect that they may have been diseased, or have died in the chrysalis, which does happen from time to time and for a variety of reasons.

I remember thinking some years ago one was healthy and the butterfly due to emerge but then I noticed it was very “milky” looking, and when I went to move it it fell apart in my hands and out oozed this smelly custard-like consistency. Definitely not healthy! Wrapped it in a tissue and into the rubbish.

Like you, I used to think that the compost would be the best place for them, but if they’re diseased – or you suspect they’re diseased – best to put them in the rubbish or flush them down the toilet, reducing any likelihood that whatever the problem is, it will spread further on your habitat.

Hope that’s helpful.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.