darned determined praying mantis :(

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Butternut 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Butternut
    Participant

Haven’t seen any wasps about – if I cover the plants with curtain nets now, can the butterflies lay through the nets?

Jacqui

Yes, more than likely, but it’s also possible wasps have been getting them too. 🙁

Butternut
    Participant

I have some questions about praying mantis – I have left some swan plants uncovered for the Monarchs to lay eggs on and I have seen them landing on the plant for the last few days but I still have not seen any caterpillars or eggs on any of the leaves. I have removed two praying mantis that I have found on the leaves, would they have been eating the eggs off before they get a chance to hatch?

Jacqui

Oh wow! That is AMAZING. Thank you for sharing that. It’s so unreal!

I found a couple of mantises mating on the outside of my butterfly house today. They were quickly despatched!

When I water the garden I gradually move the flow of water higher and higher, especially on swan plants, so that I’m watering the tops last. I do find that the mantises don’t like the water, so I can catch them at the top.

Jacqui

jules
    Participant

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.