Chrysallises

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  rob cooper 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Butterfly19
    Participant

How long do butterflies stay in there cocoons?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

rob cooper
    Participant

how long have yours been in there pupa so far

LeslieD
    Participant

As Jacqui says if all is well it should emerge after 10-14 days or so depending on weather and temperature. Sometimes things go wrong and they don’t emerge i.e. they die. If all is normal the chrysalis will go dark and you can see the colour of the wings just prior to emergence .. the chrysalis is quite transparent and the little gold dots go black just prior.
    If things are not so normal the chrysalis can darken in an uneven way and can just go black with no colour showing through … and sometimes they just die just prior and look normal except they just don’t emerge. That’s nature and just how it is. but it is disappointing never the less.

Butterfly19
    Participant

Why won’t my butterfly come out of its crsilas?

Butterfly19
    Participant

Why won’t my butterfly come out of its crisalis

Jacqui

They don’t. 🙂

Monarch butterflies are in their chrysalis for about ten days, depending on the warmth of those days. Of course it’s longer when it’s cooler. And the butterflies don’t tend to emerge on cool or cloudy days… they’re pretty clever.

BTW butterflies make a chrysalis when they pupate, i.e. they shed their skin. Moths (and one rare species of butterfly – go figure!) make a cocoon, i.e. they spin silk around their caterpillar body to protect themselves in the pupal stage.

Hope that helps!

Jacqui

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.