Chrysalises Exposed

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Knightfamily 4 years, 8 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Caryl
    Participant

As my plants have been eaten all the chrysalises are fully exposed to the sun now. Will they develop normally or will this exposure ruin them and stop them enclosing successfully. Most I cannot remove because their cremasters are very delicate. I’d so appreciate some guidance. Caryl, in Wellington.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Knightfamily
    Participant

I’ve just emailed you Caryl. I have a package of seeds all ready to pop in the post to you. Hubby says if you plant them now in pots you may be more successful getting them to germinate as they like heat. Then just keep them inside over winter and plant out in spring when it’s warm.

Caryl
    Participant

I’d love some seeds. Thank you. The monarchs visit and lay eggs on my plants in September and this past season I was able to get some plants through the winter but it’s tough to get them through. I’ve tried growing seeds inside late winter but wasn’t successful. I find swan plant seeds are slow to germinate. I even scattered about 1000 seeds in my garden and hardly any grew, I don’t have room for a glasshouse unfortunately. Last season I had a couple of people growing them for me which was extremely helpful. My email is catlovercaryl@gmail.com. If you write to me there I will give you my address. Thanks for your interest and offer. Very kind of you.

Knightfamily
    Participant

Caryl, I hope you don’t mind me jumping in here. Firstly I am amazed at your dedication to the cause – $500 on swan plants is a lot of money! Especially if you are doing this every year. Can I ask why you are buying the plants instead of growing your own?
    We’ve had over 450 butterflies so far this season and we have far fewer plants than you, but some of them are huge (as tall as the eaves of our house). We came close to running out of food but didn’t quite as we kept some smaller ones as reserves under netting, and now the stripped plants are growing leaves again because we don’t have a lot of caterpillars (wasps are out in force I suspect). The tall plants we have are 3 years old now and might not do another season but we have others growing fast which are on their second season so if we can keep them going those will be our main plants next time around.
    I’m guessing that in Wellington you would have more problems with frosts and struggle more to get your swan plants to survive the winter than we have in Auckland, but if that’s the case, I’d be more inclined to use that $500 to buy a greenhouse if you have room for one, and grow some in pots in there so they are protected during winter and then plant out in spring. Have you tried that? If you’d like some seeds I’d be more than happy to send you some!

Caryl
    Participant

Hi Sandra, Thanks for writing to me so warmly. Here’s my email address so we can
    communicate more easily. catlovercaryl@gmail.com The key to having so many is an early start to the season and spending $500 on swan plants. I am fortunate that my place in the butterfly world is having early eggs and making sure as many of them become butterflies by daily checking of them. Many of the first chrysalises I bought inside to eclose. I try to mimic the dew outside during the night by spraying the chrysalises lightly with water. But now most of my plants are bare and others have kindly taken some of my caterpillars (people who had lush swan plants and no caterpillars). My challenge now is to get those bare plants growing and making more available food for the caterpillars. I still have 50+ plus inside and I estimate more than 100 outside. Love to hear more about your experiences.Where are you? I am in Seatoun, Wellington.

Sandra CA
    Participant

Caryl,
    I’m so curious how you raised so many! Do you hand raise any of them or did they all survive in the “wild”. What is it like on those weeks when they all eclose? I’ve never heard anything like this-I’m so thrilled.

I have about 35 chrysalis; there’s only three more in the enclosure now and ready to go. I had to start releasing some 4th instars into my main milkweed plants because I didn’t want to wipe out every node left on my lot and then have no butterflies here at all.

Having over 100 chrysali at one time seems impossible without a massive field of milkweed. I guess that’s what’s so intriguing to me.

Love to hear the story,
    Sandra

Jacqui

Caryl – hope you’ll enter our contest on FB for CRAZY CHRYSALISES!!!

https://www.facebook.com/mbnzt?ref=hl

Caryl
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. I’m delighted at your successes. I now have very few plants left, about 150 completely stripped -60 chrysalises inside and probably more than 100 outside. I can’t use my trowels, there’s a chrysalis on all 3 of them. I have them under the eaves, 4 on one leaf of a silverbeet plant, all through my daisies, even on the string used to support the plants, on windows etc. Magical!

Knightfamily
    Participant

We’ve had a lot here that have been fully exposed to sunlight, and probably quite hot as well. We have a brick & tile house and some of them even pupated hanging off the brick wall, so they would have had the heat from the house quite intense on the side touching the chrysalis. All of them have emerged successfully, except where our resident hedgehog was able to get to them. So I wouldn’t be concerned at all Caryl.

Jacqui

Hi Caryl

I don’t think it’s a problem, but if it’s really hot (from bricks or aluminium in the area I would find a net curtain that you could drop over the back of a chair to give them some partial shade and also put a bowl of water out there to put some humidity back into the atmosphere.

Hope that helps.

Jacqui

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.