caterpillars disturbing each other

Tagged: 

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Anonymous
    Inactive

another question.. do the caterpillars disrupt each other? i have one who is trying to shed at about the 3rd instar and another one walked practically on top of it, causing it to perform some odd jerky/ fitlike movements! it didnt look very happy and i am wondering if this will prevent it from shedding successfully now..?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Yes, the larger caterpillars do sometimes eat smaller ones, they are known to be cannibals! Terrible eh,

Whereabouts are you Shadowbaby? Please email me!

Jacqui

Anonymous
    Inactive

it doesnt look too promising at the moment. its not moved in a while. im wondering also: do the big ones eat the little ones by mistake sometimes? i had some newly hatched on the plant which seemed to have gone and i didnt realise hpw many”cats” i ‘ve ended up with. I actualy need someone to take some off my hands or some more plants.. soon!!.

Jacqui

Yes, they don’t like this sort of interruption, but it happens in the wild, so it can happen in your “farmed” population too. I wouldn’t worry too much – sometimes we intervene too much, and can do more damage that way, by meddling.

Let us know how it is please, if it changes to the next instar successfully.

Cheers

Jacqui

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.