Caterpillars anyone??

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Miranda 4 years, 10 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

carolL
    Participant

Hello

Does anyone in the Wellington/Lower Hutt region have some spare Monarch butterfly caterpillars please/
    I will collect.
    Carol

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Miranda
    Participant

Yay I’m glad they made it safely. No, don’t worry about the postage costs – I’m just glad to have found a home for them! Between the wasps, and not having enough food if all these eggs hatched, I’m sure most wouldn’t have had a chance otherwise.

Let me know if you want some more later on (although I’m sure by then you’ll have plenty on your plants).

carolL
    Participant

Many many thanks Miranda

Little eggs arrived this morning and one baby just hatched 🙂

Can i refund your postage costs?

Carol

Miranda
    Participant

I put 30-40 eggs in the mail this morning so hopefully they reach you tomorrow or Wednesday, Carol. I think most of them were laid over the weekend, but if any hatch on the way they have plenty of leaves to start with.

Janeannlouise
    Participant

I’m pleased to report that Monarchs have been visiting our garden for about a week, some laying eggs on still tiny plants. (Reminder to self: Get more plants asap!)
    This is the first time in 13 years they’ve visited us this early. Usually it’s after Christmas.
    Some are a bit bedraggled from wind and rain.

For a while, I wondered if Monarchs I released last summer may be overwintering in or around the Marine Gardens, Raumati Beach.
    Now, I think it’s possible there’s a closer site – perhaps a large, densely leafed magnolia in a neighbour’s garden? I’ve seen butterflies sunning themselves on it.

Also, there seem to be more Admirals than usual, flitting around our kowhai trees.

Jane in Pukerua Bay (near Porirua/Kapiti Coast)

carolL
    Participant

Thanks so much 🙂

Carol

Miranda
    Participant

I will try to collect them on Sunday and get them in the mail on Monday.

carolL
    Participant

Hi Miranda

That would be greatly appreciated-i can hatch them inside too.
    Carol Laubscher
    9 Willcox Grove
    Lower Hutt

Many thanks 🙂
    Carol

Miranda
    Participant

I live in Auckland.

Caryl
    Participant

Where do you live Miranda?

Miranda
    Participant

If anyone would like me to send them some eggs next week I’m happy to do so. I’m sure I will have more than my plants can handle (and if I leave them outside they’ll probably be eaten anyway).

I’ve got my caterpillars inside at the moment – 20 chrysalises already!

Caryl
    Participant

Hi Carol,
    I think it’s too early for caterpillars in Wellington. I have had quite a few eggs from early September and I think one tiny caterpillar. I live in Seatoun. Let’s keep in touch. I’d be keen to know how many people have monarch eggs in Wellington at this time. I have seen very few monarchs this season which is concerning. I always have requests for caterpillars from others who don’t get monarchs visiting until Jan/Feb. Where are you? 027 8426773 Caryl

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.