caterpillar castles

This topic contains 74 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Darren 9 years, 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Darren
    Participant

Has anyone got a local source of something like these "caterpillar castles" from http://www.livemonarch.com/castle.htm

;

I have made myself a wooden frame type from bits and pieces that were lying around, kind of like the one shown at http://www.monarchwatch.org/rear/cages.htm. It's working well, but I like the idea of being able to fold those castles away when not in use or pop them into a bucket of bleach to sterilise them from oe.

Viewing 24 replies - 51 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Anonymous

Excellent, Darren – pop me on the list for a jumbo castle.
    If your order gets too big, I am happy to make my order separately.
    Best
    Trisha

Darren
    Participant

If you order through the partner page individually the trust will still benefit.

But a group order will save on postage, and I am awaiting an email from Livemonarch on what discount a $200USD order would get. Will let you know when I hear.

Anonymous

Hi Darren
    I hadn’t checked to see if that model of microscope is available here – just know we are fairly well off in NZ for scientific equipment.
    I did look a bit online later and the cheapest I found here was an Olympus student model for $66 but don’t know if it does what’s needed.
    Pretty impossible to get a final price even close with all the variables in there – postage, possible duty, re-postage at this end and the fluctuating $.
    If you are not now aiming for the $400 group discount, is it easier to order our own stuff through the partner page you have set up? Apart from the microscopes which are discounted for five. Good job on setting up the page.
    Best
    Trisha

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Darren,

I am happy to order a microscope and spray. May even look at the tents.
    Do we pay you? Or place our order with you Darren?

Cheers
    Char

Darren
    Participant

Negotiations are continuing. We may avoid customs due to our charity status. But my feeling is still lets try walking before running and place a small test order of less than $400NZ.

At this stage I’m thinking it will probably involve paying a best estimate price plus a safety margin to a dedicated bank account in advance. When the order is processed and the actual cost can be calculated you could receive a credit back or pass the credit on to MBNZT.

In the meantime I have created a MBNZT partner site with LiveMonarch

http://www.livemonarch.com/MBNZT

This lets you avoid the really annoying flash animation on their first page and any orders placed through this link will provide MBNZT with a small reward.

But I’m hopeful the order will be going off soon. They are nice to deal with.

MaryL
    Participant

Hi Darren you are doing a great job on this, keep us informed as I am interested in a jumbo tall and a large depending on final price. I think your idea of smaller orders is a good one as we wouldnt want to be caught out by customs . I love this site everyone is so willing to help in any way they can.

Regards Mary

Darren
    Participant

It was such a simple idea in the beginning eh?

There is an extra charge of 3% for using my credit card which wasn't mentioned on the first page.

I'm thinking the best option is to to make a few smaller orders of less than $400NZ. Even if we don't get wholesale prices it will probably still work out better than paying GST and all the other bits and pieces. I see Customs has just announced a new fee of $24.75 for every order over $400
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/3570612/Customs-fee-will-up-cost-of-web-imports

"…depending on final price."
    Yes, that is the trickiest part of the whole process. It is very hard to work out exactly what the final price will be without knowing the exact exchange rate on the day the order is processed and the cost of the postage.

If I pay for the order up front out of my own pocket and then people decide that they don't want the stuff after all then I'll be sleeping on the couch for a while! 😉

But how can I ask people to pay in advance when I can't give an exact price?

Maybe I could ask them to pay a deposit based on an estimate, and then pay or be refunded the difference when the exact cost can be calculated?

Also at the moment 3 people have said they are interested in a microscope, and I'm waiting to hear from my centre as to whether they want one as a centre resource. However it seems crazy to order 4 microscopes when there is such a discount for getting 5, but there is a certain risk in ordering that 5th one in the hope that I'll be able to find someone who wants it.

I still think a group order is a great idea and I'm still happy to do all the organising, but I also have to be cautious about how I use my family's money.

I'm very open to helpful suggestions at this point! 😉

Jacqui

How's the order shaping up, Darren? I would like two 10" x 20" socks and 2 x 20" x 19" socks please, depending on final price.

Jacqui

Darren
    Participant

The GST issue is a nuisance but it won't stop us going ahead. We might not get to $400NZ anyway in which case it won't be an issue. Also we might be able to negotiate a good deal even if we have to stop short of the magic $400US. But if you are happy to order at the prices listed above then please do and any discount you get is a bonus! 🙂

Char, the sanitising solution is 10ppm colloidal Silver. I would have thought it was readily available in alternative health shops here, but if you or anyone else wants it say how much and we'll add it in.

Trisha, Is there a similar product to the mini-microscope here? Any cheaper? No point getting them from overseas if they are cheaper here.

Anonymous

Hi Darren – could well be worth calling or writing to customs and explaining the stuff is a joint order to quailify for a price discount. Products not available in NZ and not to sold for any profit – all for use by hobbyists in an environmental group.
    I had similar situation a few years ago and customs were very accommodating.
    They might want a list of all the people taking part in the order and the organisation you belong to.
    The microscopes might be an issue because a similar product could be bought here.

Best
    Trisha

Darren
    Participant

Thanks Nic, I didn't know that. I checked and you are dead right.

GST is leviable on the value of the goods (the total of the declared purchase price inclusive of transport or freight and insurance plus any duty payable) when the goods arrive in New Zealand. It is collected by Customs from the purchaser before the goods are released.To minimise compliance costs, Customs GST is not imposed on imports of less than NZ$400 – a $50 GST threshold.
    http://www.business.govt.nz/Taxes,-returns-and-Payroll/E-commerce-and-tax/E-commerce-and-GST.aspx

which makes it difficult for us to exceed the $400US to qualify for wholesale prices. Bummer.

Charlotte
    Participant

Thanks for letting us know Nic;-)

Cheers
    Char

Nic
    Participant

Just be aware that if your package is over $400 NZD (including postage costs) that it is likely to be stopped by customs. You would then get charged 12.5% GST, perhaps a little duty and a $65 processing fee.

Sometimes it's good to keep the orders under that $400 NZD limit. Sometimes splitting an order into 2 smaller ones is better.

Just putting it out there!
    nic

Charlotte
    Participant

Would the professional sanitizing solution be worthwhile getting as well?

I definitely want the microscope.

Cheers
    Char

Darren
    Participant

OK, I have converted the list to metric and $NZ at today's rate($0.7469US). This is the base price and does not include postage and whatever discount Jacqui might be able to sweet talk them into.

CASTLES
    (5 sides fine mesh, 1 side clear vinyl, zippered)
    Small Castle 30cm cube $10.71
    Large Castle 33cm x 33cm x61cm $16.07
    Jumbo Castle 61cm by 61cm by 91cm $33.47
    Jumbo Tall Castle 61cm by 61cm by 1.8m $66.94
    Greenhouse Castle 1.8m by 1.8m by 1.8m $160.66

SOCKS
    (Fine mesh bag with vinyl window and double drawstring with toggles)
    Small Sock Enclosure 25cm by 50cm $5.36
    Medium Sock Enclosure 50cm by 48cm $10.71
    Large Sock Enclosure 99cm by 1.9m $29.46

Mini Microscope 60-100X – Self Lit $26.78
    but if we get 5 the price drops to $22.76

(According to http://monarchparasites.org seeing Ophryocystis elektroscirrha spores requires a magnification of 40 to 100x, so these should do the trick.)

Alison
    Participant

Yes, a microscope and maybe one of the small cubes sounds like a go for me.

NormTwigge
    Participant

Sounds like an order in the making. I would be interested in a microscope.

Charlotte
    Participant

Count me in Darren. They certainly have some good items here and I will take a better look when I get home.

Cheers
    Char

Darren
    Participant

They have quite a range of stuff. They also do a small microscope.

Mini Microscope 60-100X – Self Lit
    $ 20.00 for each Mini-Microscope. Discount at 5 or more.
    This is a powerful 60-100x magnification microscope with an extremely lightweight and portable design. It features a built-in LED light that provides a bright, clear image and a rubberized eyepiece for comfortable viewing. It will easily fit into your pocket to bring with you anywhere. Comes with batteries and instructions for use. Perfect for investigating possible pathogens and parasites. With this microscope, you can finally tell exactly what is going wrong with your caterpillars and quickly fix the problem.
    http://www.livemonarch.com/store_care_tools.php

This is a better page for seeing the Socks and castles.
    http://www.livemonarch.com/store_enclosures.php

So if you seriously want buy some socks, castles, or microscopes as a group order through the trust then list it here. If there is sufficient interest we'll go ahead.

Charlotte
    Participant

Sounds good to me as well.
    I actually like the sock idea also for outside plants.

Cheers
    Char

Darren
    Participant

The site says "Wholesale may be available for $400+ purchase". That's about 8 jumbo castles. Jacqui is going to contact them to see what kind of deal she can work out for us as she has met them in person. Even if we can't get enough people for a bulk deal we should still save by combining postage.

I'm fine with paypal, internet banking, cash or even those paper cheque thingys I dimly remember from long ago. Lets see what the level of interest is and what deal Jacqui can get.

Stefan Olson
    Participant

I would be interested in a jumbo one. I could pay you via PayPal.

Darren
    Participant

Sounds good! If anyone out there would like to be part of a group order to get wholesale rates and save on postage please take a look at http://www.livemonarch.com/castle.htm and post what you would like here. I have paypal and don't mind co-ordinating an order.

Jacqui

They’re on special at the moment at Live Monarch…

I’m wondering if I should talk to them and see if we could put together an order. They ARE brilliant, Mary and I have seen them in action in the USA.

Viewing 24 replies - 51 through 74 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.