caterpillar castles

This topic contains 74 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Darren 9 years, 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Darren
    Participant

Has anyone got a local source of something like these "caterpillar castles" from http://www.livemonarch.com/castle.htm

;

I have made myself a wooden frame type from bits and pieces that were lying around, kind of like the one shown at http://www.monarchwatch.org/rear/cages.htm. It's working well, but I like the idea of being able to fold those castles away when not in use or pop them into a bucket of bleach to sterilise them from oe.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Darren
    Participant

They have arrived! Everyone has got their money in. Will post out at the weekend. Bill hasn’t shown up on my credit card yet. No problems with customs.

MaryL
    Participant

Somewhere in cyberspace maybe Darren, interesting thought.
    Do you know expected time of arrival. Thanks for all you have done on this it is much appreciated

Darren
    Participant

I’ve got yours Mary, and most of the others. A couple are still in the limbo between banks (have you ever wondered where the money is when it’s left your account but hasn’t arrived at its destination yet?)

No one has dropped out and the goods have already been shipped. The final figure was slightly lower than my original calculations so it is actually just under the $400 mark. However I still used my original calculations when telling people what they owed which is why if you add up all the amounts in the posting above it looks like we went just over $400.

MaryL
    Participant

Hi Darren, Has the money I deposited gone through alright?
    Mary L

Darren
    Participant

Hi Mary those figures include the 3% for credit card. At the current exchange rate we scrape under the $400NZ limit. I see our dollar is strengthening at the moment, so it will be interesting to see what the rate is when visa process the transaction.

Trisha I don’t even know what to guess for local postage until I get my hands on the items. If you want to include extra for local postage feel free. I’m happy to refund any excess or make a donation to the trust if there is any money left over.

MaryL
    Participant

Hi Darren well done, I take it that you have added in your 3%for your credit card use as it does come over the $400 don’t want to be caught with extra, except our postage here of course is still to come.

Anonymous

Yes, Darren – pricing has worked out EXTREMELY well – grand effort getting this together.
    Should we add some for local post now?
    $5 each should cover it, do you think? If some are a little more or less the entirety should cover it – what’s a couple of $$$ amongst friends, aye?
    Would cut down on your admin later.
    Happy to deposit online as soon as you say.
    Best
    Trisha

Darren
    Participant

Ok, sorry I didn’t get back to people at the weekend, stuff happened. I’ll try and get this emailed directly to people tonight but in case I don’t the amounts are

Stefan $42.00
    Alison $13.44
    flutterbys $8.40
    Jacqui $40.32
    Mary L $104.16
    Patz $42.00
    Blutterfy $42.00
    flutterbys $62.16
    darren $26.88
    A&B $26.88

If you can do internet banking that would be easiest for me. I have an old bank account at 38-9001-0147427-01 in the name HOME-COMPUTER TROUBLESHOOTER which I’ll use for this to keep it out of my personal banking. Once you have made the payment drop me an email at darren(dot)gedye(at)gmail(dot)com.
    If internet banking is no good for you or there are any other problems email and we’ll sort it out.

I’m really happy with the way the pricing has worked out so hopefully everyone will stay in. The order is packed and ready to go and LiveMonarch have been very accommodating so I won’t mess them round by trying to amend the order at this stage, I’d rather keep them sweet for future orders.

Lawrence I think it could well be worth doing this on a semi-regular basis. However if anyone pulls out I’ll post details of the surplus items here, so keep an eye on this thread and you may be lucky.

lawrence pope
    Participant

If you do a second order if things work out i would be very interested
    to late this time round

Regards

Lawrence Pope
    Picton

Darren
    Participant

Wonderful news! Jacqui gave LiveMonarch a nudge and they have sorted out our international shipping. They have also given us a significant discount which effectively covers the extra cost of the international shipping. So effectively we get the items as if we were only paying local shipping. That makes the total cost of the order $380NZD which is perfect regarding the $400 customs limit. Will do some maths at the weekend and contact those who expressed interest to let them know the best estimate of the cost for their bit.

Darren
    Participant

Sorry MaryL, it went in last night.

MaryL
    Participant

Hi Darren, have you sent off order yet ,if not could I change mine from Jumbo tall and Large to Jumbo Tall and Jumbo plus 8oz bottle of spray if not possible just keep it the same as it was .much appreciated thankyou for all your work on this

Darren
    Participant

Hi Trisha. Yes, I will submit the order tonight which gives us an order number and gets us in the queue for someone to answer my emails. Once they have confirmed postage costs and discounts I will work out what its going to cost people and ask them to deposit the funds if they wish to proceed. If enough don’t then I’ll cancel the order and we’ll pursue other options. However I hope people stay in, because no matter how much the freight is, sharing the freight is going to work out cheaper than each of us paying it individually.

Either way its proving an educational exercise.

Anonymous

Hi Darren – are you waiting for a quote before you confirm an order?
    Cheers
    Trisha

Darren
    Participant

If that is the case then it definitely makes sense for us to combine the international postage.

MaryL
    Participant

Hi Darren doing some research on Fri discovered it cost $107 to ship one from USA, they were using USPS even though they are light must be using volume. I know it is very expensive to ship from there

Darren
    Participant

still no email from LiveMonarch. However this is their busiest time as their season is just about to start I think. There have been no more requests here for a few days so I’ll close off requests now and start an order moving through the works. Hopefully that will prompt a response from them.

Darren
    Participant

All part of the great experiment Mary! Luckily the castles fold down very small and are very light. So what we lose on individual local postage we gain on group international postage. Plus they charge for their time packing and I don’t. 😉 The make or break factor may be whether we get a discount for $200USD. If we don’t everyone will have the opportunity to withdraw and we can explore other options.

btw, great photo of them in action here
    http://www.livemonarch.com/images/cages-greenhouse2.jpg

MaryL
    Participant

Hi Darren there would also be extra postage from your house after they arrived and wrapping to be done all extra cost could end up more expensive than ordering direct. as if the weight is on volume or size of package each one would be a different price and our prices here aren’t that cheap for some items.
    regards Mary

Darren
    Participant

now that the microscopes have been taken out we have lots more of that $400 available for castles, socks, and spray. Keep the interest coming! Still no email from livemonarch.

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Darren,

Are you still doing the order for the castles?

I would like a large and a jumbo castle please.

Thanks
    Char

Jane
    Participant

Hi Darren,

Please could I order 1 x Jumbo Castle

Many thanks – J

Darren
    Participant

I found a similar 60-100x LED microscope here
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25239

$11.98USD will get it to your door. That is substantially cheaper and easier than $17USD + shipping + me having to get it to you.

I have ordered from this firm before and been happy with the results. I don’t see any point getting the Livemonarch microscopes now.

Darren
    Participant

Char, that’s the 2oz bottle for $5?

The interest expressed above so far totals $218US at retail price, including a 5th microscope which I will advertise or raffle off if no one wants it. A guesstimate of 20% for freight brings that to $366NZ

Once I get the pricing from livemonarch I’ll let you know the best estimate and bank account details. Once the money is in I think we are good to go.

Darren
    Participant

No email from them today. hopefully that means they are working a discount out, because a “no” is easy to write? lol, who knows, but it doesn’t hurt to ask.

As for microscopes, I see a lot for sale, usually aimed at children and quite frankly useless. If Livemonarch says you can see Oe with these then I reckon they are worth a try.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.