Catepillar taking ages to pupate

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  willownz 4 years, 5 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

willownz
    Participant

Hi All,
    I’ve done some research but I can’t get a definiative answer.
    My biggest “fattypillar” is about 24 days old.
    Last night I came home to find him in a J. He is still in a J more than 24 hours later.
    He is definately alive because every now and then when the wind blows a leaf into him he wiggles around (no its not the wind, he actually wiggles around then Js again).
    He has leaves all around him so he can easily move to a leaf if he was “stuck”.
    What do I do? Just leave him and he might pupate in the next day or so?

Thanks!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

willownz
    Participant

Thanks Tramp

The first one I posted about didn’t make it and I’ve had two others not make it.
    Down to two caterpillars now. Hopefully I get some butterflies otherwise there is always next season.

tramp
    Participant

With the very dry weather the monarchs take longer to turn into a chrylis as their chrylis sock drys out too quickly and they get stuck a light mist of clean water should help. good luck the same with butterflies hatching they sometimes get stuck same spray Tramp

Caryl
    Participant

Great that you’re close. I’m in Seatoun and would love to meet with you and perhaps we can help each other.
    catlovercaryl@gmail.com

willownz
    Participant

Thanks Caryl. I’m in Wellington as well. I thought my big fatty was a bit behind with his ~24 days!
    I’ll just have to anxiously check each day for my chrysalis!

Caryl
    Participant

My experience is that they can take longer and don’t usually move. But I have moved them myself when needed and they can hang in a J again. I just don’t worry about the time they take. From egg to chrysalis has taken them 77 days in Wellington and I have had almost 700 butterflies born since 1 December!

willownz
    Participant

Thanks Errol. Much appreciated.
    I’ll remove the leaves in the morning.

Errol
    Participant

If the other leaves are annoying him, then I’d suggest you cut them off – so leaving him in peace. Sometimes they do take more than 24 hours to fully pupate, perhaps give him another 24 hours. After that well I don’t know. Good luck.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.