Cassia?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  BlueSkyBee 6 years, 6 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

BlueSkyBee
    Participant

I’ve seen mention of Cassia for butterfly gardens on overseas sites, and have one self seeded in my garden.

I don’t particularly like them myself, but if it was going to be of any benefit to butterflies of NZ, I’d let it stay.

So, shall I let it live, or not? 🙂

TIA

Angie

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

BlueSkyBee
    Participant

The cinnamon tree is from the laurel family, Lauraceae, so not related to Cassia sp. I believe, but the common name “Cassia” is given to members of  the Cinnamomum species  which can yeild cinnamon.

Botanically speaking, why common names usage is often a nightmare, and it is a lot simpler and less confusing sticking to latin nomeclature!  Anyway, I digress, I have seen cinnamon growing, and  it does look very ‘laurel-like’ totally different to Cassia sp.

BlueSkyBee
    Participant

Thanks Jane, I have 25 acres, so space definitely isn’t a problem, I think I’ll pop it into a big mixed hedgerow/shelterbelt I’m creating to protect the orchard.

Jane
    Participant

Hi Angie,

Given that Casia is a legume it would probably host NZ blue butterflies which may lay eggs on the seedpods.  I have no idea about it’s nectar bearing capacity, and maybe someone else will. Cassia has amongst it’s members the tree that produces cinnamon, however there are many varieties. I reckon if it looks pretty and isn’t in the way – keep it! If you want the space for something else – it should go!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.