cabbage white butterfly – caterpillar food

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

YvonneWallis
    Participant

looking on the net, the cabbage white butterfly lays its eggs on plants in the mustard family which includes the Brassicaceae.there is an enormous amount of plants in the mustard family. I was going to have some with the other butterflies in the butterfly house as long as they wont eat the other caterpillars food or the nectar plants. Is there any other plants I should be aware of them eating? I see that Alyssum is also in the mustard family would they lay their eggs on this or is it just the Brassicaceae group?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

YvonneWallis
    Participant

thanks Edith, as long as they don’t eat the other plants in there I’ll be happy

Edith
    Participant

Cleome (spider flower) is a host for Cabbage Whites too.

YvonneWallis
    Participant

yes Anna..i think he was one of the first I started gathering grounsel for. trouble is that damn rust fly knocks the plants back but have just trasferred some clean plants in there yesterday..lets hope the biomesh goes up before the rust fly finds them..they have laid on my ragwort too..the ragwort has sulked since it’s transfer but one plant has flowers so hoping it will mature enough for seeding.I have to take a trip out Banks peninsula too, to try and get some large leafed meulenbekia for the little coppers, put white clover in for the common blues, maybe a gorse for the longtailed variety of the former.WhenI’m set up and ragwort established better i’ll see if someone on here can send me some cinnabar moth eggs..Then one i’ve got all these going well have to take another trip over banks peninsula to get some coppers and look for some tussock butterflies and see if i have the right tussocks here for them as i planted some outside that are suppose to be for butterflies. I have the nettles for the admirals but getting some seed from the society for the bush nettle..have to plants nettle seeds in their too.

Anna
    Participant

Don’t forget the Magpie Moth…one of my favourites. The caterpillars eat groundsel. They are very easy to keep. (They are a day flying Moth, and look like flamenco dancers when they fly)

YvonneWallis
    Participant

Thanks Jacqui..thought it would be nice to have as many different butterlies as possible in there so starting to set up there food. i know they love horseradish leaves as well (mustard family again)so I might put some of that in there too

Jacqui

Hi Yvonne

Cabbage White only lay on Brassica species – cabbages, cauli’s, broccoli, brussells sprouts, nasturtiums, wild mustard and mustard and cress, turnips, rape etc. Sure they will nectar off the same flowers as other butterflies would, but they’re not going to harm the other butterflies/caterpillars.

I doubt very much if they’d lay eggs on Alyssum, especially if you’ve got brassica sp. in the butterfly house.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.