Cabbage White butterflies – deterrent?

• Creator
    Topic

Jacqui

I was staying with a woman at Te Araroa and she told me she’d found a deterrent for cabbage white butterflies. A friend told her to put a large white butterfly hanging in her garden and they wouldn’t go near her cabbages (etc).

She tried it and she swears it works. She said she couldn’t find a large white butterfly so hung two supermarket shopping bags in a sort of butterfly shape instead.

It would be possible to staple two 2 litre ice cream container lids together in a butterfly shape I guess. I’m going to give it a go when I get home!

What do you think? Anyone going to give it a go?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Yes, that’s true Norm. Didn’t think of that. But… why I’ve revived this post is:

In a calendar a few years ago we had a list of deterrents. Does anyone have access to that calendar? Or what other tips do people know about to deter the Cabbage White? I have been asked recently and wish I could lay my hands on a copy.

Pepetuna
    Participant

Hahahaha priceless Norm!

NormTwigge
    Participant

I am sceptical, but if the system DID work then all the gardens with monarch butterfly kiwiana in them would be keeping the monarchs away in droves.

clinton9
    Participant

Best is do nothing but leave to parasitic wasps to control the caterpillars.

Jacqui

In a calendar a few years ago we had a list of deterrents. Does anyone have access to that calendar? Or what other tips do people know about to deter the Cabbage White? I have been asked recently and wish I could lay my hands on a copy.

Some of the others I remember are:

* Plant your brassicas amongst other crops or even flowers, so that the distinctive smell of brassicas is less evident to the adult Cabbage White and they’re less likely to find them. Planting rows of cabbages is the best form of advertising to the Cabbage White butterfly, it’s like a Welcome mat.

* Brassicas are mostly a winter crop, whereas the Cabbage White is mostly breeding over the spring summer.

* Spray them with non-toxic sprays made from lettuce leaves, garlic (etc) to further disguise the smell.

Hope someone can contribute more.

Anna
    Participant

…it may work, as the minute they see me with a butterfly net they take off.

Terry
    Participant

I am sorry to say I think she has lost the plot!

One sure way is to cover the crop with a fine netting staked slightly above the top leaves so the females cannot land to lay eggs. Much better than insecticides which of course may still leave traces of toxic chemicals by the time you come to eating your cabbages.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.