Butterfly with a damaged wing

This topic contains 25 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  emmakate 6 years, 7 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Anonymous

I have a butterfly with a small piece missing from it’s wing and it is a little crumpled too. :-((((

I paid a visit to the I website that Gill gave me awhile back a site that shows you how to replace wings on damaged

butterflies….. interesting but not sure if I would have the confidence…. take a look ….http://www.livemonarch.com/hospital.htm

;

However I just do not have the nerve to try and replace it with one of my spare ones

though, the poor little fellow it is so hard to watch him trying to fly though.

Any bright idea’s please?

Barbara

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Replies

emmakate
    Participant

Ignore that – she has just flown happily away. (paranoid mother right here haha) 🙂

emmakate
    Participant

I have a female that has one SLIGHTLY deformed wing, not by much, and I’m not sure if it will affect flight yet as she hasn’t attempted that yet. Should I try wing surgery before or wait to see how she goes?

Anonymous

Will try both oneday maybe. Notice on the crysalis there is a little black stick part that often goes in and out.
    Pam
    from AK

Jacqui

I have been advised to use a hot glue gun to attach pupae to new locations. Using the glue gun in your left hand you put a dab of hot glue in the new location – which you are holding in the right hand. Put down the glue gun and pick up the pupa, stick the cremaster into the dab of glue (which has now cooled a bit) and hold for ten seconds – DONE! I will let you know how it goes!

Anonymous

After much consultation with the helpful guy at Mitre 10, we settled on Gorilla Ultra Bonder. It dries really quickly and comes in a little bottle like nail polish, with a brush to apply it with. Very easy to use. 5 days on and no sign of the wing coming loose, despite a couple of crash landings!

Anonymous

This is fantastic, what did you use to glue his wings back together? Was it Superglue?

Pamela

Anonymous

I’ve just had my first go at surgery! Well, my husband was actually the surgeon, I was the theatre nurse. We got a little crippled boy (Charlie) on Thursday. Slightly wrinkly on one side, 1/2 crumpled on the other. Couldn’t find a suitable donor anywhere, so settled for using a car accident victim. Unfortunately, his wings weren’t perfect either, but decided to proceed.

Put Charlie in the fridge. I don’t think my fridge can be very cold – it took 30 minutes to get him still enough to work on. Transplanted left hand wings, dusted with powder and voila. A normal looking butterfly! Put him back on his curtain to recover and 1 hour later he had a wee test flight.

Took him outside yesterday and he went from tree to tree, then tree to flower, although his control isn’t brilliant. He’s not as agile as he should be, but he can fly! Before surgery all he could do was plummet to the ground. He doesn’t seem interested in leaving the backyard, but looks very happy just the same. I bring him in at night and he flits off my hand to find his own resting spot for the evening.

Anonymous

Phoebe’s wing was too badly damaged to effect a decent repair. She seems very content being a house butterfly, so we’ve both settled for that. I now have a little crippled one, who isn’t too badly crumpled. Only the top 1/2 of her wings are bent over. I think she may be a candidate for wing replacement – providing I can find a suitable donor. Will let you know if I have any success.

Gilly
    Participant

Please let us know Vicky.. I havent had to confidence to try this but I have 3 little crippled ones in that will never fly….
    good luck with yours!

Anonymous

Thanks everyone! I’m going to give it a go. If it works – great. If it doesn’t – Phoebe will still have a nice life with me. Fingers crossed!

Jacqui

Thanks heavens for Mona Miller (in Washington, US) who advises me these websites — also the wonderful information at livemonarch.org.

http://www.livemonarch.com/advanced.htm
    Advanced Caterpillar raising information

http://www.livemonarch.com/hospital.htm
    Butterfly Wing Fix

Jacqui

I am not sure, but it is what I use for attaching pupae to a new location.

Have you checked out the instructions on the website – only trouble is, I can’t find it and I just saw it the other day. I will try and find it for you, Vicky.

Jacqui

Gilly
    Participant

Jacqui.. would Selleys Kwik Grip work for wing repair?

Anonymous

Can anyone recommend a “contact adhesive” to use for attempting wing surgery? Phoebe is perfectly healthy but has a broken wing. She’s 2 weeks old and I have found a dead butterfly the right size. I would love to give her a chance to fly

Gilly
    Participant

Sorry to hear of your wee butterby Pam. It’s hard dealing with the losses but we have to remind ourselves every so often, how many successes we have 🙂 🙂

Anonymous

My wee one died and presume it only lived about 4 days. Usually when the wings are like this it is a sign they are not well. Often I see these ones have weak legs and that is when their life expectancy is not long.

Pam

Anonymous

Hi Pam,

Sorry I have not acknowledged your messages have been away for 2 weeks house-dog sitting, meanwhile there has been an explosion of new cats at my place.

Have at least 10 Chrysalis in the house now. I had 4 all hanging on a back scratcher last week (I pop home each day) to check on them. Unfortunately one fell after trying too hard to remove his jacket. That one turned black very quickly and is only liquid. I had a butterfly emerge yesterday and it only took 8 days from a chrysalis, this heat is causing them to get going fast!

Is your wee one still alive? so hard to watch and feel so helpless isn’t it, I guess if it was not for people like us there would be many, many more that would not survive in the wild, only a small consulation I know.

Barbara

Anonymous

Dear Barbara,

I found one butterfly this morning with all it’s wings twisted around so that it could not walk . So I visited the Butterly Hospital web. Put the one in question in the fridge for 10 mins as directed.

All I could do is cut off the wings part that trip the butterfly up as it walks and gave it a good feed of fresh honey and water later. Can’t stick other wings on as the adhesive does not seem to work.

It’s still alive.

Pam

Jacqui

Hey Barbara, that’s terrific to hear. I was going to respond to your earliest post, well, “what have you got to lose?”

I remember the nurse (in training) saying when I was about to give birth to Chris, “Oh, I’ve never done stitches before”. hehe. But if she hadn’t had me t practise on, she might never have got to “do stitches”. If the butterfly has a low likelihood of having much life, wouldn’t it be good to try making it better by adding the wing? His life can’t be much worse, and could only be better I think.

Jacqui

Gilly
    Participant

Wonderful!!!!!!

Anonymous

Further updat on my flightless butterfly.

If you could see my face just now and the tears rolling down my cheeks……. Wow!!!

Two days ago I removed the spare wing and gave him food, kept putting him in the sun, this morning I thought there was nothing to loose so removed the last small piece of sellotape and put him out into the sunshine as I do each day well, he flew around and around and landed somewhere in the garden…..I kept my eye on him, then another one appeared and they were frolicking together……truly a miracle.

No wind and a lovely sunny day here again.

Thank you for all your emails on this subject and I can truly say it has been resloved. Barbara

Anonymous

Amazingly enough last year I kept a flightless butterfly alive for 7 weeks. I regularly fed it fresh honey water and water and took it flowers. As soon as the followers arrived the butterfly perked up.
    You can usually tell if the butterfly will last by the power in it’s legs.
    the legs of a butterfly are very fragile and it’s best to wait for it to walk – don’t pull on it’s legs.
    Also, make sure it has opportunity to exercise.
    Pam

Marie Smith
    Participant

Sad to say, butterflies with damaged wings do not have a good longevity prognosis. Over the years I’ve tried to help them in various ways, but with no success. I too finish up just putting them on a luscious food source, such as zinnias, and wish them luck.

Jaqui, I received the Giant Plant Seeds yesterday and have planted 30 seeds in pots … I’ll let you know how many grow. The seeds look exactly the same as the veriety I save from year to year from my own genestock plants. From time to time I do get the odd plant that has enormous leaves … some as long as 9 inches and wrinkled down the centre vein. They’re wonderful for supplying lots of feed. I managed to overwinter one of these odd giant leaved plants this year and it is now starting to flower. I’m hoping I can save seeds from it and propagate some “new hybrids”. 🙂
    Happy hatching,
    Diana

Anonymous

Dear Barbara, only yesterday I found a small butterfly that hatched from a crysalis on the floor. It’s wing seemed to be almost stuck to it. I carefully prised it off, but the butterfly seemed to grow weaker and all I could do is to put it with fresh flowers.
    However, I,m willing to try the website you mentioned to repair the wing. Not much of a life if it can’t fly.
    Good luck with your butterfly and could you please let us know what happens
    Pam

Gilly
    Participant

Hi Barbara… I’m not sure if I would have the confidence to replace a wing either….good luck with your little one. Sometimes, we fail… but you have to think about all the good releases. All you can do is try to make sure he feeds, put him outside for a few hours and we can only do our best. We have lots of success stories but when we have a failure, oh boy, we can dwell on that, can’t we~! Life is tough at times…

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.